Shooting Fish

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Shooting Fish

Post by mr_e »

Watched this when I was down at my sister's: not just out by any means, having been released in 1997. My synopsis and review...

The smooth talking Dylan (Dan Futterman) and technically-gifted Jez (Stuart Townsend) are two orphans turned con-artists with an altruistic goal who cross paths with the intelligent and pretty Georgie (Kate Beckinsale). Initially reluctant, Georgie becomes sympathetic to them after they reveal their modern-day Robin Hood cause. Her role gradually becomes more important, until eventually Dylan and Jez are forced to put their plans, and their cash, in her hands.

Whilst the main characters initially come across as quite stereotyped, things get better, although some of the character development does seem to have been squeezed in towards the end. It's essentially a romantic comedy, although not without its vaguely dramatic moments, and certainly not a chick-flick. The pacing's pretty good, but they've tried to squeeze maybe too much stuff in at the end. All in all, a good way to spend two hours, but don't expect it to change your life. A definite feel-good kind of film.

3S

As a random aside, for some reason Kate Beckinsale's character reminds me of Claire. Either that or my memory's appalling. Slightly lengthier review, but I thought I'd do it all proper this time.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song