Hancock

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Hancock

Post by Mike »

A tale about a drunken superhero who is universally hated due to the damage he causes whilst 'saving' people. He is given an image make over by a PR consultant and he starts to discover bits about his past. It is a fun action film and I liked it very much. Wired actually panned this film quite badly and I see their point, however, I am not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of a laugh out loud funny film.

4S
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Re: Hancock

Post by stimpsonslostson »

I'd give it 3s . I also enjoyed it (more than I thought I would). It had some interesting ideas and ran very well...
However it was somewhat castrated by the 12a rating, as a straight 15 they could have gone further into the details (I read somewhere that this was the original plan- hence the abrupt gear change before the final act).

The things which bothered me (in blue to prevent spoilers)...
Charlize becomes super... from NOWHERE- there was obviously a scene cut from there.
As soon as she did the humor all but evaporated. The kitchen utensil scene was good tho.
when she became super she ALSO became HOT!!- So new eye makeup and a smart business suit with your bra showing signifies her alterego?
The whole flat line scene was spectacularly unsubtle.
Sorry if it seems I'm moaning, because as a popcorn flick I did like it

p
HEY! HO! Lets go!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Re: Hancock

Post by mr_e »

I never even realised Wired did reviews. Damn... oh, wait, I now see why. Weird review.

As an action film, it's decent. Phil's right about the major shift in tone: it goes into all these heavy themes (for an action-comedy, anyway) really quickly. Some of the "omg ominous!" stuff was really unsubtle, but I can deal with that: I tend not to over-analyse films when I watch them the first time round. It could've run with some of those heavy themes a bit more, and I can well believe the "possible 15-cert" plan. A bit of a bipolar movie, really. Still enjoyed it though.

3s
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song