Definitely Not Green

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Definitely Not Green

Post by johnriley1uk »

This week is one of environmental indulgence that may never happen again, so I might as well enjoy it.

My Astra is very sick. It's gone away for a new engine and in the meantime I was being sent a hire car. "Can you send me an automatic?" I asked. "Certainly," they replied, and sure enough a Mercedes Benz 300E Auto duly arrived.

This huge beast is about as big inside as our lounge, leather seats, boot like a tennis court, everything electronically operated from the seat position to the hand brake. I thought I'd better check out where the fuel filler cap door operated from. It's so embarrassing when you're at the filling station and you can't get access to the filler cap...

There must be an electronic switch, a lever, a button I thought. Nope, you push the door with a finger and it's on a hinge... :oops:

Anyway, I'll enjoy the car for a few days, although I won't enjoy filling the tank for a variety of reasons, but I wouldn't buy one of these. Way over the top, that's for sure. If you see something large and silver whooshing silently by that could well be me.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Re: Definitely Not Green

Post by Mike »

Lol, that must be a bit of a pain to park. It is nice to have these small luxuries for small periods of time. That way it seems special. It will be odd seeing such a wooshing silver beast on the driveway when we come to DND this week. :lol:
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

just remember, when you drive it, the middle point on the star should be aligned with the white line in the middle of the road- or else you'll stand out as not being a TRUE merc driver! (My dad got a merc and started doing it, replaced it with his lexus and suddenly remembered what lanes are for! :roll: )
Mercedes drivers ALWAYS drive down the centre of the road, (along with drivers of the new Range Rover sport :evil:)
p
HEY! HO! Lets go!
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

Range Rover sport.

Now thats one of thoose classic oxymoron's like Military intelligence.
Eagles may soar high, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Well the Merc has gone back now and the Astra has returned. Going back to a smaller car is nice in a way but refined it is not. In fact it brings home how crap it is as vehicles go, but it serves its purpose, is easier to park and uses about half as much fuel.

Having said that, the Merc was a doddle to manouver because the auto transmission was so smooth and controllable. It just needed a large space to put it in.