I am IronMan!

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

I am IronMan!

Post by stimpsonslostson »

I saw this last night in Dundee, its excellent! :-D
I must confess to some trepidation, the trailers looked underwhelming and as this was my favourite superhero I was praying for it to work. I thought it really did!
Stark is a weapons maker, kidnapped to make a rocket for some Afghani militia types... he escapes and comes to question the morality of arms dealing (which doesn't sit well with the other board members). He uses his latest development (lots of product testing ensues) to track down and remove weapons which have fallen into the wrong hands... I'll not give away the finer points, but suffice to say that he should REALLY learn to be careful where he leaves prototypes!

It stars, Robert Downey Jr as Stark/IronMan- good performance, cocky enough to be funny but with sincerity when required.
Gwynnie as Pepper Potts (I know! :roll: ) Sweet understated performance, looked the part too!
jeff bridges as Stane, displaying a good balance between gravitas and humour.

the cgi was excellent throughout the film, and never intruded upon the story. The story itself clipped along at a good pace and never got boring (even if it was slightly predictable).
A thoroughly enjoyable film 4s well worth seeing. Best popcorn flick of the summer?? (It MAY even be better than Indy)!

My only real quibble was with the merciless product placement, Audi R8, Dell, Apple, Wii, LG... all got their 5mins of fame- or longer for the (undeniably cool)R8. Its becoming more common to have lingering shots of the equipment being used, and it's getting annoying (Bond is another offender- Sony!)
p
HEY! HO! Lets go!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Re: I am IronMan!

Post by BarcelonAl »

Saw this last night for the first time (Cheers Bambi and Stimpsonslostson), and thought it was excellent!

Fast-paced, funny and containing some great action set-pieces...definitely worth a 4s and a half.

Robert Downey Jr was perfectly cast as Stark...looking forward to Ironman 2 now...
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!