Scam Alert!!!

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Scam Alert!!!

Post by BarcelonAl »

:evil:

I got contacted by the very Indian sounding 'Harry' from Techsomething last night on my home number (1st alarm bell, I don't give that out and frankly don't even know it myself).

Apparently they are the official support team for Windows (2nd alarm bell, what version?) and have been notified by my computer that I have a problem (3rd alarm bell, I turned off all contact with Microsoft error checking when I got the computer) and they needed me to log-on and run through some steps to show me the problem (4th and final alarm bell, I can smell a trip to a specific website and a whole bunch of malware coming).

I fecked him off by telling him to call back later as I was cooking dinner...so far no callback...

If they call again I'm going to tell him I only have an Apple Mac and request where he got my phone number from!

Be careful out there folks!
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Re: Scam Alert!!!

Post by BarcelonAl »

'Harry' just rang back...I actually was making dinner so just hung up. Wonder if he'll try again tomorrow?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Interesting. I wonder where they got the number from. I would love it if they rang me. . . the conversation would go something like this. "I have a mac, are you going to guide me through the same steps Mr Window's support team member?"
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

I am begining to suspect Endsleigh Insurance as they are the most recent company that I have given my home phone number to as it wouldn't let me put anything else. I normally use my mobile as contact point as I'm not in the flat during the day (obviously). I have emailed and am awaiting a response.

Wonder if he'll call tonight...
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

It happens... not mentioning where. ;-) that staff who have access to personal data can take it away and use it for nefarious purposes. I'd suspect that he (or an associate of his) has access to a database from somewhere (your insurance?) and is trying a scam on the side.

Bank staff are sometimes offered money for the personal data they can access!
HEY! HO! Lets go!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

'Tis sadly true. They're very sneaky too. We recently had to stop our 'Email a Friend' function as a call-centre based in India was using it to pass info about. Can't remember which company we worked out it was, but they were basically entering the details as they gathered them into the 'Your message' section and sending them off to a variety of email addresses.

Nothing to do with our customer data, but we acted quickly to firstly pull it and then increase the security around it...barstewards.

No calls yet...