Epson Photo RX-620

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Epson Photo RX-620

Post by Mike »

This printer / scanner / copier all-in-one was given to me as a freebe by my parents (very nice of them I must say!). The quality of the second hand-ness was very good with only a couple of marks (the main one a 'Colour' word marked in above one of the letters).

The process for installation if you follow the instructions sounded painful - so i plugged it in and turned it on and it worked (amazing). Epson must be so under pressure with cost these days that they can't be bothered to update the printer drivers from the Power PC days - ie about 3 years?! Thankfully OS X has a bit of software called Rosetta that helps old outdated Power PC applications run on the new Intel systems.

The scanner (what I was looking forward to) works well. It has a standard feature that tries to detect separate images. In my humble opinion I have never seen a good version of this feature (imagine seeing part of the same photograph scanned as separate images!). Much-o relief to have a scanner again though! The last scanner worked very well but was using SCSII cables - not really possible to use that on a Mac! The overall first impression is 4S

Printer is also working well. The printer heads need a bit of a clean but that is no biggie. I only tested on a confirmation of our holiday booking and it was a clear good quality print. Being used to professional printers I think I am slightly biased with I rate the quality 2S - not bad at all for home use.

This review might read a little ungrateful (remember it was free) but it was not intended as this is 5S better than a broken A3 HP printer! The HP refused to print in colour or black and white (despite having having numerous black / colour cartridges installed to try and clean the heads). I sort of think the heads on the HP were busted after being hammered in university. As a side if anyone still has a 1220 C from the university days that works I have a brand spanking new (boxed) cartridge here. In the spirit of the printer gift; it is free to anyone who would like it.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org