Live From Manchester!

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Re: Live From Manchester!

Post by stimpsonslostson »

Frank Turner @ Academy3 24/10/08 5s
AWESOME show from Frank and co. He really seems to be getting the hang of working the crowd and maintaining the momentum whilst incorporating touching moments (Long live the Queen was a poignant song delivered to a rousing finale). The crowd were ALL fans and knew every word and sang, danced and cheered constantly. One of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at a gig. (there were a few technical issues, but it didn't REALLY detract from the show).

Chris T-T 3s .5
had more technical issues, but rescued the set by force of personality (and an astonishing a cappella performance- which achieved TOTAL silence!). His intelligent brand of rock went down well with this good natured crowd. had he hot broken amps and strings etc. the set probably would have been rated higher.
HEY! HO! Lets go!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

kong - still mad as a box of frogs but they're getting better 3s

blackhole - gallows clones; frank carter does it better 3s

hexes - guitars + noise - interest = boredom. seen it before. 2s

bronx - the best get better. the new material is killer 5s

academy carpark - two quid for the priviledge of having my car broken into. 120 pound to replace the cd player and sat nav. no stars for you!
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

One of these days I will get my arse into gear and come and see those Bronx fellows. I've just noticed neither of us reviewed the most recent Goldblade gig either.

Sorry to hear about the car as well: perhaps people (to use the phrase loosely) target them as they know people will likely be at a gig for at least an hour or two?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Sorry to hear about your car that always sucks having a bit of mindless vandalism done to your car.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Live From GLASGOW!!

Ok, so its not live from Manchester, but I went to see Mastodon at the ABC in Glasgow last night.
5s (I'd give em more if I could!)
Awesome show- played Crack the Skye... in its entirety then played Blood Mountain... in its entirety... then highlights from leviathan... then highlights from Call of The Mastodon. AMAZING!
My only minor criticism was the volume. It was LOUD!!! I was deaf when I came out. So loud infact that I felt that some of the intricacies of the songs may have been lost in the din. Still its a minor criticism.
Brann Dailor MUST be the best drummer I've ever seen.

PS support was nothing to write home about.
HEY! HO! Lets go!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

BILLY TALENT!!! Supported by CANCER BATS!!! At the BARROWLANDS!!!!! 5s

The thing I missed most when living in Manchester was the close proximity of possibly the BEST gig venue in Britain- The Barrowlands Ballroom in Glasgow! Great acoustics and an old sprung dancefloor makes for a unique gig experience.

On friday I returned to see two of my favourite bands.

CancerBats, absolutely destroyed the place! What they are doing playing a support slot, I have NO idea- they were brilliant. Special mention to the blistering cover of Sabotage by the Beastie Boys!

Billy Talent were similarly on fire! Awesome set, good banter, great sound and atmosphere! AND they sold the mp3s of the show on a memorystick immediately after the show!

Brilliance all round!

Now, who's next?
HEY! HO! Lets go!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

stimpsonslostson wrote:Now, who's next?
For me Biffy at the Apollo (excellent venue) and then Skunk Anansie...beat that! :-D
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!