What we learn from school

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

What we learn from school

Post by johnriley1uk »

I was just ruminating on this and it struck me that as I undid my toothpaste tube (screw top variety) I was using the same technique I was taught in the Chemistry Lab for opening and pouring chemicals without putting down the top.

When I cook I use Lab priciples as well for organising and preventing cross contamination. Not in a conscious way, but because that's the way to prevent cross-contamination. It can be applied to cleanliness and kitchens as well as it can to school experiments.

Teaching the principles that can be applied across the board of life seems like a good idea so it makes me wonder why there always seems to be the need to change education.

If we want to teach about infection in the home then surely we cover that in Biology. So we don't need cooking lessons in school do we?

Thus were my ruminations and a warning therefore about the consequences of day-dreaming whilst brushing teeth.... :-)
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Re: What we learn from school

Post by stimpsonslostson »

The majority of chemistry is just like baking. I think thats why I hate baking at home- I do so much of it at work!
HEY! HO! Lets go!
liz.brownlloyd
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by liz.brownlloyd »

Ah that explains why I was a danger in the chemistry and a kitchen. Well I'm a good cook if its more make it up as you go along, anything precise like baking and I'm not good at it, I just get stressed and the cake gets burnt.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

You really just need to take them out of the oven quicker. I like baking because it is like Chemistry. I like to think that I am actually quite good at it. Actual cooking I am terrible, when it comes to creating a good taste from scratch or knowing what goes with what I am terrible. Lizzie is thankfully much better at it! :-D
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Late reply! It's one thing to teach principles, it's another thing for the kids to be bright enough to apply them to other subjects as well. That's sometimes the difficult thing to do, the more creative sort of logic.

I've also not bought a screw-cap toothpaste tube in ages, must be the brand I use.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song