Saighton CE Primary School - New Build Classroom

Architecture, Research and Design. A place for everyone to chill out and look cool. Buildings, competitions, reviews? Post em all here.
liz.brownlloyd
Superior Master
Superior Master

Saighton CE Primary School - New Build Classroom

Post by liz.brownlloyd »

I've been running projects for a while now for 9 primary schools under the jurisdiction of the Chester Diocese. They range from extensions to fencing works. However this is the first piece of architecture I'm really proud of. I designed it with the help of the design review process, helped to do the techinical package alongside a technician, and ran it on site. We've had a brilliant site agent, which does seem to help somewhat.

It's a one classroom with group room and toilets. It's an extension to a grade two listed school, which has been heavily extended in the past. We have been actively encouraged by the conservation officer to do something radically different as the extension is around the back and the previous extensions have been pastiche at best. Therefore we designed a learning shed taking our precedent from the local farm builds that surrounds the rather georgeous village of Saighton.

Let me know your thoughts. :-D
Attachments
P4170062.jpg
P4170062.jpg (123.76 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Re: Saighton CE Primary School - New Build Classroom

Post by Mike »

Glad to see that you are really proud of your work, its nice that you managed to control the whole development of the building from start to finish. Sometimes the larger practice tends to 'design by committee' which is very frustraiting.

The texture of the timbers is lovely. Nicely done! :-D
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Re: Saighton CE Primary School - New Build Classroom

Post by mr_e »

I've not checked these forums in ages, so slightly late here, but it sounds like you've had a good experience of the build.

Being the pedantic arse that I am the first thing I saw was that the photo makes the steps at the lower right look wonky. That said, it looks really well built, ready to take abuse from loads of kids! They'll probably love the big windows and the different texture and feel of the wood compared to what I assume is brick elsewhere.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song