First Synthetic Organism created

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

First Synthetic Organism created

Post by Mike »

Guardian Article about the first synthetic cell created by scientists. Very exciting research and the application of this technology is practically limitless. Personally I would like to be re-sequenced to change my eye colour from brown to blue - what about you?
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Re: First Synthetic Organism created

Post by johnriley1uk »

They needed a bacterium shell to do this, so it wasn't creating life from scratch.

I think the most chilling aspect of this is that if we could create life, what does that make us and our ability to exist and think? It diminishes us to a cauldron of teeming chemicals and banishes the concept of a soul.

When life can be mixed in a kitchen and computers can think we may need to reassess our position in the order of things.
liz.brownlloyd
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by liz.brownlloyd »

The nearer towards science, the farther away from religion... I suppose it depends on where we go with it. I'd love an inteligent house and a robot that does the housework and the fridge that automatically orders milk when you run out of it and a washing machine that washes, drys and iron clothes want you want them... However John is cheaper... :-D
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I honestly don't know what to make of this, part of me is thinking "awesome!" because of the possible uses in medicine and pollution control, the other is thinking "uh-oh!" because of the ethics issues and the potential for weaponisation (much further down the line). Anyone else read Oryx and Crake?

The good news is that that we lack the ability to do anything much beyond bacteria at the moment, as its way too complicated to sequence. At the moment...

John, if you get the urge there are some interesting-looking studies on human consciousness. However, they almost all seem to end up going into chemistry, psychology and biology to fairly high levels so maybe not too accessible.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song