Manchester

Architecture, Research and Design. A place for everyone to chill out and look cool. Buildings, competitions, reviews? Post em all here.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Manchester

Post by Mike »

I have been reading the Pevsner Architectural Guides - Manchester edition recently. A full review is pending but it highlighted how little I know about classical architecture and the buildings in Manchester. Anyway it got me thinking that a post about Manchester Buildings is overdue.

I am going to start with Gateway House (see the attached image below). According to Pevsner it is one of the finest 1960's office buildings in Manchester. The building was also subject to a 2010 competition to refurbish the area. The architect was Richard Seifert (of the Natwest Tower and Central Point in London fame). This is a concrete frame building with flush glazed curtain walling, horizontally banded in aluminium (?) cladding panels at each floor level. The floating office floors over the ground & first floor shops helps to mediate the large level difference between the station and Ducie Street, a clever solution to the problem. The strength (in my opinion) lies within the sensuous 'lazy-s' form which is very sculptural.

In summary I would give the building a strong 4s. It is obvious from the condition that a refurbishment is necessary.

PS I also looked up the practice of Richard Seifert. He retired in 1990s with the practice being continued as John Seifert as 'Seifert Architects International'. They were forced to close in 2010 by a wind up order by HM Revenue and Customs. It is sad to see great firms reduced to bankruptcy but I guess that is the capitalist machine at work, only the behamouths survive.

PPS It looks like Hodder won the competition. Hodder + Partners website
Attachments
Gateway_house_web.jpg
Gateway_house_web.jpg (160.4 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Re: Manchester

Post by johnriley1uk »

An interesting building and rather stylish for its time.