Dad Rock - What's The Appeal?

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!

Are Led Zep, The Beatles, Rolling Stones Overrated?

No, Age Is No Barrier To Rock
80%
Yes, I'd Rather Listen To Kylie Scratching Her Butt
No votes
Who Cares? They'll Be Dead Soon Anyway - And Some Of Them Already Are
20%
Rolling Who?
No votes

Total votes: 5

Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Dad Rock - What's The Appeal?

Post by Fez »

I always liked a bit of controversy, so here's something I hope will get someone's hackles up - Led Zep, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, will someone please tell me what's so good about this outdated Dad rock slop?

Noel Gallagher - a guy I don't usually agree with - has said the 'Stones haven't done anything good since 1978, Dazed and Confused by Zep lasted for twenty minutes and is as enjoyable as a blow job from rabid rotweiler! The Beatles...The !?$%&^$ Beatles - love me do, no thanks, and Yesterday sounds like David Gray in a coma.

Maybe they were good in their time - forty licks does have some good tunes, but none of them date post-1980 - but come on, the only reason the Beatles are even considered any good is because in their day the only other option was to listen to a stray dog pissing on sheet iron.

Let the backlash begin!
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Come on, a good song is timeless. Okay Love Me Do is not the most exciting of all Beatles songs but they were effectively a 'boy band' of the era. How about 'Back in the USSR', 'I'm only sleeping' and 'Elenor Rigby' all of which have been used as covers by loads of newer artists. I especially like the cover or Elenor Rigby by Godhead.

As for Rolling Stones and led zep - I dont think I have heard any of their tunes which really apeal to me but I am willing to keep an open mind, for the moment. . . .
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I'm not a tremendous fan of any of them, but the Beatles do very good music to drive to. And Elenor Rigby, both versions, is highly nice. Jimi Hendrix owns them all.
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

As great fan of many of the Daddy's of rock. ok. so most of em are getting old and lets be honest the probably as far removed from their orignal inspiration as is humanly possible. I think u ask a little too much expecting them to continue to perform at the levels they achieved as angry young men into their old age.

Rolling Stones produced some heavy weight classics such as Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter and you can't all ways get u want.

In an age where post production is everything and mixing desks are capable of speeding up or slowing down artist performances without changes in pitch. With multi track recording any mistakes in drumming guitars etc can be edited out. it is not unusual for albums to take months to record and produce now.

Whereas if u consider the incredibly limited recording technology of the late 1960's and early seventies you should be amazed at what was acheived. Recording was limited to some fairly heath robisnon machines and bands like pink floyd had up to dozens of manually operated individual tapeloops with the tape running round mic stands to prevent spagehti. now the sample is recorded directly into a keyboard...

Give them some time and patience and u will be well rewarded...