Thinking About Migrating?

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!

I'v changed my broadband provider in the past and found the experience

Smooth like a baby's bum
25%
Rough like a loofah
No votes
Just downright painful, like a pencil in the eye!
50%
I'm a broadband virgin and have yet to experience it's delight's
25%

Total votes: 4

John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Thinking About Migrating?

Post by John Knight »

I am currently dwelling in dial-up hell. Not through choice I hasten to add.

I attempted to migrate from an old expesive broadband with onetel to a shinny new service 40x from BT for just ?1 a month more than i was paying for 10x from onetel.

The long and short of it is Onetel have kicked me off their network but have failed to turn off their broadband signal, BT are unable to connect my new service while the old one is active.

And for the month that i been in limbo i stuck on dial-up with no immediate end in sight>

THIS REALLY SUCKS!

So I wanna know. Is it always like this?
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

There are some things it is utterly dreadful to try and change - I have heard tales of woe about Internet Service providers, Banks, Sky TV.....

Wanadoo Anytime dial-up aint so bad, at ?7.49 per month for the first three months and then ?14.99. One day soon we might go to Broadband, but there's no hurry.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

johnriley1uk wrote:. . . ?14.99. One day soon we might go to Broadband, but there's no hurry.
Now this is summat i dont understand. Why are you paying that much for something when there are broadband packages for less???? Its really wierd! I even have an old usb modem you could use if you needed one! Oh well I am sure you know what is right for you and I should leave it at that.

That said I want to make a move to BT in the near future but I am gonna wait until the course is over to avoid some horrid messup like Mr. Knight's broadband people did. (?24.99 virgin - ?24.99 BT but 4x faster than virgin!)

PS. When setting up a broadband account there are no problems whatsover due to the fact you dont need to turn off a broadband signal to your home (this is what is delaying Mr. Knights reconnection).
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Because we aren't yet - it's still ?7.49 - and because the two PCs are totally independent as regards internet access. There is no way any intrusion or attack can disable both PCs at once....

That's why. Oh, yes, and I'm too idle to change it.... :wink:
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

Simply installing a network card into each machine an connecting threm together would allow both pc's access to fast internet. As for intrusion, most broadband packages now come with an ADSL router. A cunning little device that stops people attacking your machine. any other concearns could easily be banished with simple installation of norton Internet security. a program u should have regardless of your connection speed as u can never be too careful.
idlewood
Novice
Novice

Post by idlewood »

ah but mr knight

u know my tale of woe with these bastard broadband providers

would take longer to tell then the lord of the rings trilogy

and extended format version at that

aol - avoid like the plague seriously, cut ur arm off burn ur computer do not go near also do the same trick as one tel..was a bloody nitemare gettin my lineback

bt - helped me get aol off the line but neglected to tell methatthe charge would be quarterley an go onmy phone bill....lets just say th folks werent too happy when a bill for over 100 landed on the doormat....

am now with tesco, and noprobs at all atthe moment...the server can be apain sometimes re speed but onwhole no prblems
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

John Knight wrote:Simply installing a network card into each machine an connecting threm together would allow both pc's access to fast internet. As for intrusion, most broadband packages now come with an ADSL router. A cunning little device that stops people attacking your machine. any other concearns could easily be banished with simple installation of norton Internet security. a program u should have regardless of your connection speed as u can never be too careful.
Only a firewalled router will help protect your machine. If you get the right router you will connect each pc to the router and the router is the gateway that connects to the internet.

As for internet security, dead right. The majority of problems I hear about comes from people not understanding or installing the correct virus / software firewall. In this case I know that johnriley1uk is feverent in keeping his protection up-to-date! Almost as much as I am. . . . . :wink: Anyone on dial up should note that a firewall is indispensible even to them as it may catch dialer viruses and save you a fortune.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org