Ideal job (if you could do anything!)

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

Just a quick hint Andy, my parents have just got back from Barcelona. They said it was a beautiful city and they wouldn't discourage anyone from going - but be VERY careful of the pickpockets.

My mum and dad were targetted four time in five days and they said it really put a dampner on the holiday. They also saw a young girl being pickpocketted in the street !!

In the worst case 2 girls actually got hold of my mum's purse but when she shouted 'pickpocket' very loudly at them in earshot of a policeman - they gave her her purse back claiming she's dropped it !!

Their advice was to bring as little as possible out with you and avoid carrying bags.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Being targetted once a day for pickpocketting is just insane, and that probably doesn't include any attempts that were aborted before they noticed them. And I thought Lisbon was bad when we got offered some gold chains by a man in the main square...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

a guy once asked me in the street if i could change two fifty pound notes, i was a student at the time and spent five minutes laughing at the idea before i could answer him, but the thing that really worried me was that the notes clearly had a lot of red die staining the edges - the kind banks use to ruin money during a robbery. i made my excuses (i.e. i'm a student, i have no money) and left pretty sharpish spending the next few days trying to find out if their had been any bank heists in the area - apparently there had been a raid on a security van in bolton a few days earlier... :?
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Joolz

Post by Joolz »

mr_e wrote:
Mike wrote:I get an image of Brian from Spaced now. I really don't know why! :P
Heh, I need to watch that series again. But I will not be smashing eggs and pricking myself with pins, thankyou very much. Hmm, Spaced evening?

Why the fuck not Mr E. I have the boxed set it is awesome esp the full legnth version of daisies #i don't wanna be a tiger#
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Lizzie wrote:Just a quick hint Andy, my parents have just got back from Barcelona. They said it was a beautiful city and they wouldn't discourage anyone from going - but be VERY careful of the pickpockets.
Barcelona is absolutely gorgeous. I really enjoyed what I saw of the city and would have loved more than the three hours there. I got to view the cathedral which is just an amazing feat of engineering, design, architecture, etc. In fact the whole city has some stunning features of architecture in it.

I am definitely going back on my own - walking round Las Ramblas looking out for our kids was not really a big enjoyment factor. However much we told them, warned them, reminded them not to flash their cash, they did. Me, Lizzie and Rob D had to protect four of our little darlings who had decided to buy massive sombreros and walk round in them and then buy something for 2 euros with a 50 euro note. Stupidity at its absolute zenith! They were being followed by 3 very dodgy Catalunians!
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

I would like to occupy the position of Chief Whisky Taste For the Islay and Speyside Single Malts

I feel that to occupy this job and to do it to the best of my ability I would have to taste each whisky regularly, compare vats constantly and have a regular driver, a camp bed and an inexhaustable supply of asprins. Actually, sod the camp bed, I'd be so legless I would sleep anywhere. The driver and asprins are a necessity. Well, the driver is. And he has to be a devout methodist. Without the preaching

I know that it may result in an early death due to liver failure, but hey, it would be a great job!!!!!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

It might also push the distillery out of business! :shock:
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

A friend of my uncle was a beer tasting person for Bass until he got sacked recently. Nice work if you can get it. At this moment in time, I want to work outdoors, like as a park ranger or something. Yes, I'm having a bad work week.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

mr_e wrote:Yes, I'm having a bad work week.
i can't remember what a good week feels like
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Fez wrote:
mr_e wrote:Yes, I'm having a bad work week.
i can't remember what a good week feels like
Aye, that is true.
Mike wrote:It might also push the distillery out of business!
What do you mean ''might''??????
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

A good week goes quickly?!

It is interesting that mr_e is yearning for sunlight after being stuck in an air conditioned office for the last couple of years. I am imagining that you are about 20m from the nearest sealed and obscured window - is that right?
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I'd say nearer 8m, but you are correct in that we can't open them so that the air conditioning can "work" properly. If by work you mean spread germs and generally result in huge temperature variations throughout the office.
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

mr_e wrote:I'd say nearer 8m, but you are correct in that we can't open them so that the air conditioning can "work" properly. If by work you mean spread germs and generally result in huge temperature variations throughout the office.
You've got air conditioning - you're lucky! I have two windows at the top of my classroom (about 10 foot up in the air) that I have to stand on a table and use a pole to pull them down. This is dodgy. I then have huge windows on the other side without blinds so the kids are mauling cos they can't see their work and have headaches due to the sun. They are also more bothered about the kids having a game of rugby. This makes them seriously pissed off because the kids are really happy playing outside and taunt them. Added to this, my windows got painted over the summer but the professionals, I say that term loosely, forgot to open the windows before they painted them. Therefore, they have been painted over and cannot be dislodged because I have bars in front of them to stop people breaking in. It looks and feels like a high-security prison. This makes the average temperature of my classroom on an average day about 10 degrees warmer. It did touch 90 degrees on Wednesday. I would kill for air conditioning and I am getting my blinds next half-term - those three weeks cannot go quick enough!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Is it true that the kids can ask to be moved if the classroom gets over a certain temperature?
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

mr_e wrote:Is it true that the kids can ask to be moved if the classroom gets over a certain temperature?
I'm not entirely sure - they are wrapped in cotton wool these days and told that they are the centre of the world so probably.

I think it is true in America. Almost definite on that one. However, I am not sure about this country.
Six years ago (OK the law may have been enacted) my mum's classroom was a long conservatory tapped onto the end of the school - freezing in Winter and regularly touched and went over 100 degrees and nothing happened for her. Therefore, I am not sure. I do, however, have the most tremendoues respect for her working in those conditions.