metallica [good evening wembley!]

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

metallica [good evening wembley!]

Post by Fez »

mastodon – not sure what to make of these noise merchants although it must be difficult to be the first band on playing to a stadium crowd that isn’t sure where its sitting, hasn’t decided if the queue to the beer tent has shortened enough to bother joining it yet, and is still getting over the tee shirt prices at the merchandise stands. the sound quality wasn’t great either reducing most of the songs to a prolonged fart of noise hanging in the air in search of a tune. circumstance might have conspired against them so a 2S rating is more of a comment on the atmosphere than the band itself.

machine head – probably the other best act of the day and should have been higher up the bill, machine fucking head as they seemed to be called by most of the audience filled wembley with a good dose of quality rhythms which still made an impact at the back of the pitch area where i had moved to after realising i wouldn’t be able to see anything no matter where i ended up. finally managed to stir up some kind of a good mood across a crowd that had so far been unsure of itself trying to fill the big space 4S.

him – oh dear, just as things were starting to look up this novelty joke band for fourteen year old girls who think suicide and pseudo-satanism are fashionable brought the tone down again. just who’s idea it was to book this embarrassing farce of an act i don’t know, but surely they shouldn’t have been on before the main evening event, if at all. roundly hated by near enough everyone, the end of each song was greeted by heckles and a waving sea of middle fingers. awful 1S

metallica - the atmosphere exploded when the band finally hit the stage and made the whole day worth the effort. inevitably some favourite songs [particularly from the load / reload era and st anger] didn’t make it but lasting well over two hours what we did get was exceptional; including blinding renditions of ‘justice for all’, ‘disposable heroes’ and a fantasically received ‘memory remains’, the latter returning to the set list after being awol for a number of years. the pyrotechnics for ‘one’ and ‘enter sandman’ pushed the levels of excitement still higher, and closing with ‘whiplash’ and ‘seek and destroy’ left the audience breathless but exhilarated. 5S

the music was awesome and definitely worth going to see again, the new album is supposed to be out in february, but with all the ball-aching involved getting there [see below] i hope they come to manchester next time.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

travelling by coach – it was hard work to get through the two journeys with an 8:00am start from leigh and a 4:00am return. cant complain about the vehicle which did all that was asked of it and the other metal fans were good company, although it was exhaustingly dull and the uncertainly of where the damn thing would be for going home made it an uncomfortable experience. plus, we were forty minutes late setting off because the morons in security wouldn’t let the crew back onto the carpark until the other sixty thousand fans had left! [more on these pillocks to follow]. in the end everything went fine but it didn’t feel like the hassle free trip i had hoped for.

wembley stadium the most important thing to say is it looks great for the most part and should do a football match proud. however, all that glass means you can see countless photocopiers and the backs of desks making it look like a funky office block rather than a sports arena. the view from anywhere on the pitch was crap unless you were right at the front, and because of two beer tents, a merchandise stall and a tv platform in the standing area, the view from the seats couldn’t have been brilliant either. the facilities inside are numerous and well positioned but the food tastes like shit and there was no cider anywhere in the building! this might not have been so bad if…

security…was awful and painfully slow. to get in i had to cue for an hour and a half, have my ticket stamped, get a security wristband, walk through a maze of barriers and periodically hold my banded arm in the air to show the guards [resisting the urge to shout ‘hiel!’ as i did so], then have the stub from my ticket removed at the turn styles and finally have my bag checked for bombs and water bottles. seriously, you cant take a bottle of water into the building and of course you cant smoke – unless you have it in your pocket! so i had my bottle confiscated and spent a day being surrounded by smokers not only defying the ban but breaking several drug laws at the same time. personally i don’t give a shit if people smoke of not, but being forced into buying the overpriced rubbish inside was infuriating. the food was disgusting, the coke was flat and, like the tee shirts, it was all a rip off.

cant complain about the music which was the reason i was there to begin with, but everything else was a fucking nightmare.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

It's a shame about Mastodon, because they don't actually sound too bad on record, but I can see how their sound might get washed out a bit in a big arena (it's kinda sludgey). Album available for borrowing, but I'd simply rate them as "pretty good".

Machine Head...enough said. I'm surprised they booked Him...they must've needed a band at short notice. My sister used to be really into them when she was in her teens, one of her guilty pleasures.

Confiscating water sucks, and is really disappointing on the venue management's part. I'd honestly consider doing some letter-writing about that, but I can already guess the answer (water's probably high-profit, so a polite "fuck off" letter, perhaps?). I'm guessing you couldn't take food in either?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Glad you had a good time, it sounds like an ace venue. The water thing bugs me too and I don't really get it. Water is a basic right and you should not be forced to buy the over priced rubbish in the venue. That said I have hear it has been instigated to prevent you sneaking vodka (or other) into the area and then getting paralitic!
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

The really simple solution is to only alow sealed water bottles in, if the vodka thing is the excuse. It's only going to take a fraction of a second longer to check for.

They may as well go all the way and force people to strip and wear standard issue boiler suits. No chance of sneaking anything into the venue then! With the obvious exception, but that doesn't bear thinking about.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Mike wrote:That said I have hear it has been instigated to prevent you sneaking vodka (or other) into the area and then getting paralitic!
not really an issue when most the audience are getting stoned!
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

I think it is quite standard to not be allowed water in to these type of events, which I think is due to security issues (we weren't allowed water at Take That or Knowsley Hall). However, my mum blagged in some water by claiming she needed it for a medical condition - which goes to show they're not completely militant about it.