Salsa

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Salsa

Post by Mike »

Lizzie and I have been trying Salsa Classes at the Copacabana in Manchester. We have thus far tried two styles; Columbian and Cross body on 1. This really confused me as the Columbian Style says heel firlmy on the ground when you step, the Cross body on 1 style says stay on the ball of your foot which is just plain confusing!

The Friday Columbian Session has music to dance to but the beginner style is just that. Beginner. On the plus side the instructor was a friendly chap and very entertaining. You also have the advantage of being able to store your coats etc in the cloakroom which is not open on Thursday. The style is fun but the turns are not taught until the intermediate time.
4S

The Thursday Cross body on 1 is a great lesson. The woman is slightly wieird and extremely overwhelming. 'Done? Yes No' was my favourite. The steps were more challenging and the ball of the foot thing confused me for a while. You get a lot closer to your partner in this style and the turns can be done by beginners. The arms must always be raised and if you move it should be with the hips! I think we will be going again on this day and try to improve. On a side note it was embarrassing when we swapped partners, I got to dance with a Latino Ballroom dancer and she was obviously and embarrassingly better than I! Never the less it deserved a
5S
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

After your last performance at Copacabana, I'm surprised they let you back in! Or did they greet you with a warm friendly 'Ahh the man who likes to dance with other men', welcome? ;)

Glad you had fun...I'd like to be able to dance better, but seem to be cursed with two right feet (I'm a lefty...).
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!