High Fidelity

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

High Fidelity

Post by Mike »

This is a story about a geeky record shop owner who loses his Girlfriend becuase of his misery and a reducing lack of dreams for the future. The story is an adaption of the Book of the same name by Nick Hornby. The man is a git and loves making top 5 lists - the film follows the story of his top 5 break ups!

Not bad but John Cussak is not my idea of a loser geek .. . . . he just does not get is quite right. All in all
3S
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

This is a really good book but the film just does not do it for me.

On first viewing I thought it was appalling. On the second viewing I thought that Jack Black was quite good.

Overall, 2S
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
Claire
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Claire »

I agree with Andy, the book is waaaaay better. In fact, wrt Hornby, I'd say High Fidelity is better in the book version, but About a Boy is better in the film.
The crazy gets claustrophobic!
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

For me the film and book version of About A Boy are roughly the same. The book has some hidden comic moments and you understand the man more. However, in the film, you understand the boy's point of view more.

Fever Pitch is a really good football film but the whole point of the book is to convey his entire emotions over 25+ years, not one season. The film does this to a point but centres on the 88/89 season too much because it has to. In actual fact, in the book, that season does not contain more or less coverage than the others.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby