Romancing the 60s by Frankie Valli

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Romancing the 60s by Frankie Valli

Post by johnriley1uk »

First I quote my review from my own website:
Now I've heard the CD a couple of times and am starting to form an opinion. I suppose, inevitably, the review gets split into two aspects, mainly because Frankie is now 73 (or 76?) years old.

One aspect is how does his voice hold up and the second aspect is how does the music rate in terms of originality and musical quality.

The voice is remarkably good and every now and then stretches into being as much Frankie Valli as it ever was. The pure and steady higher register is, remarkably, alive and well and the transition from tenor to falsetto almost pure on one track in particular. Not the ear-shattering falsetto of 1962, but more the ethereal quality of softer notes a la Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

Musically, this is "Timeless", that is, the 1968 album, but with softer vocals. This is a compliment, for the arrangements and production are first class. The recording quality is much better than Timeless, with not a hint of the roughness of the 1968 recording.

Very bravely, Frankie invites comparison with the past as he gives new versions of "Any Day Now", now complete and not just the start of a medley, and "Sunny", ironically first appearing on the aforementioned previous album. The new versions are viable indeed, and in the former case keeps breaking into almost a rendition of the previous version from the 1969 "Half & Half" album.

I think what I forget even now is that although Frankie's voice seems remarkable and I keep thinking "he can't still do that, surely" that, for him, it is actually just the way his voice is, and by golly he can do it.

A good album indeed, and some songs actually brought a lump to my throat, so the old magic is certainly still there.
For you guys, to explain that Frankie Valli is the lead singer of The Four Seasons, the New Jersey group famous for songs such as Sherry, Big Girls Don't Cry, Walk Like a Man, Rag Doll, Let's Hang On, Working My way Back to You, Who Loves You, December '63 and many more.

As a solo artist Frankie had Can't Take My Eyes Off You, My Eyes Adored You, Grease and so on.

What attracted me to the music initially was the gritty sound, the powerful lead voice and the remarkable piercing falsetto. Even more amazing live.

This new album, many years on, is a brave thing to do. Will current bands be still recording when they are 73 years old? Some maybe, but I'll bet not many. Has it worked? Well, yes, much to my surprise.

5S