Recommendation sought

A meeting ground for photographic discussions. Post all about your equipment, favourite locations, tips and tricks here.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Recommendation sought

Post by mr_e »

Hello folks. Scary as this is, my parents want to buy a digital camera. They are mostly...er...unfamiliar (to be polite) with new technology, especially my father. Their budget is around ?200. Any suggestions would be just super, darlings. *mwah* Bye for now sweeties.
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

At least 5 megapixels would be about right. Then there will be a choice between really small, shirt-pocket designs, and larger but easier to hold and use models.

In the first instance, the Pentax S5n or similar would be excellent. In the second example, the Fuji S5500 is a superb camera but somewhat bulkier. (Not excessively large though)

At least as important is what they want to do with the images. If they want to print small prints at home there a several small dye-sub printers that you can print directly from the camera with.

A better result is achievable with Photoshop, but they might not want to get invloved with that!

I suggest a visit to Jessops to handle the cameras mentioned and some others, and then they should buy what they like the look and feel of.