I Am Legend

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

I Am Legend

Post by Mike »

This is quite a familiar plot line now. In a nut shell it is about the sole survivor Robert Neville living a solo life in New York city post apocalyptic virus. The virus in this plot was a genetically engineered virus to help combat cancer. The side effect was that the virus mutates and kills in 90% of cases, in 9.5% it turns the host into a skulking dark monster and in 0.5% of cases the person is immune. Robert Neville is immune an struggles valiantly to create a cure.

For most of the film Will Smith is alone on screen with his friendly companion a dog Sam. The screen presence of Will Smith is amazing and although the film is relatively short it feels to be the right length. The film is tense and well paced and is very very strong. I would say it is a contender for my film of the year (2007 that is!).

5s
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Claire
Superior Master
Superior Master

Re: I Am Legend

Post by Claire »

I agree with Mike, this film was very good. However, it wouldn't be my film of the year because I prefer to be entertained/amused/challenged by the films i watch. Being really quite scared is not necessarily what I look for. Nevertheless, the fact that there were at least two genuine hands over eyes moments would suggest that the film is wholly convincing and - one way or another - did engage me! I also thought the CGI was amazing. Plus, if there are still any women out there in the forum wilderness (have you all been killed by an apocalyptic virus to which i am immune?), you should know that Will Smith has lost none of his "masculine" appeal ;-) He is seriously hot in this movie! Movie: 4s Will Smith: 5s Not only does he have an amazing physique but it is also a tour de force performance.
The crazy gets claustrophobic!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

I am Legend 3s
Slightly inferior "28days" clone. Overrated?
HEY! HO! Lets go!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

stimpsonslostson wrote:I am Legend 3s
Slightly inferior "28days" clone. Overrated?
it's based on a book that pre-dates 28 days by forty / fifity years - hardly a clone, though it doesn't follow the book plot very closely
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

it's based on a book that pre-dates 28 days by forty / fifity years
SPOILER ALERT!!!

So i gather :oops:
I'm going to break my rule and expand upon my 5words.

Generally I thought the film was interesting, a study of how a man would cope/adapt in an unpopulated world. The bit where he begs the dummy to say hello is touching. Smith conveyed emotional depth to a character who says surprisingly little- an exceptional performance.
I enjoyed it and was intrigued until the zombies/infected appeared. The poorly realized CGI (the lions/deer were also poor, but less integral to the film) detracted from the atmosphere of the film- in a rush to make the zombies athletic (hence the 28days comparison) it made them seem less real and frightening.
I've (obviously) not read the source, but is more made of the infected? They had a leader and strategies, employed traps and were able to keep (attack) dogs. When the lead zombie appeared to be angered by the loss of his girlfriend and proceeded to take revenge by laying traps I was intrigued. It made me wonder whether the film may be more akin to the 2004 dawn of the dead- an altogether more complex concept where the zombies are not totally evil.
The final act was somewhat of a let down, it was as if they felt that a big finale was necessary for a satisfactory outcome- as it was I was left feeling slightly let down. (I also wonder what ended up on the cutting room floor).
Is the book better?
p
HEY! HO! Lets go!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

there are no zombies in i am legend! the text is hailed as the best vampyre story since dracula.

bad cgi is always disappointing, and even good computer animation cant compare to the metomorphsis scene in american werewolf
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt