Mozilla Firefox 3

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Mozilla Firefox 3

Post by johnriley1uk »

I have just upgraded to Firefox 3 and I'm a bit disappointed on a couple of counts. Firstly the drop down history is very over-complicated and also quite restricted in the number of sites it will show. Secondly, some sites will not remember me when I use Firefoox 3 but were quite happy with Firefox 2.

One thing I did like about Firefox that continues is its memory for filled in boxes. Great for repeating input data on ePHOTOzine and eBay and the like.

Anyway, my disappointment has sent me back into the arms of Internet Explorer 7......
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Re: Mozilla Firefox 3

Post by Mike »

You have got to be kidding me? IE 7 is no where near as good as Firefox 3! You have some crazy computer system to me. Which sites were displaying incorrectly?
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I was having touble with Pentax User not remembering me with ff3. Fine with IE7 and ff2. Then trying to open multiple browsers to make more than one image link from Photobucket just did not work. It does work in IE7.

ff is great in many ways and then I find some silly incompatibility that bugs me. It's a shame because there are some equally fantastic minor touches to the browser that really make life easier. However, I find ff3 a bit buggy really.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

John, do you have any add-ons / extensions for FF3 installed? Are you running the latest version (3.0.3)?

You should be able to open multiple browsers very easily, seeing as I'm pretty much using default settings and have never had a problem with it. Have you tried both right clicking on the link > open link in new window and opening it from your desktop / quicklaunch bar?

For the cookie problem (which appears to be fairly common having done a quick search and might be caused by weird default settings on some versions) try going to the following: tools > options > privacy then make sure the accept cookies boxes are ticked and set to keep until they expire. Whilst you're there, make sure you haven't checked the button to clear private data whenever you close Firefox. It must be a problem with FF3 deleting or not sending the cookies containing the login details.

There are three different history views: the coolest one is if you just right-click the forward or back arrows, as you can jump randomly around the history and the list stays in the same order. The basic history drop-down only displays the last ten sites (the show all history option is a bit crazy, granted). The view > sidebar > history view is the most like IE7.

It's worth persevering with, but let me know about the opening new windows thing, as that is just weird. Failing that, I'll check the settings next time I'm round if you like.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song