Podcasts

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Podcasts

Post by stimpsonslostson »

I'm sure most of us have iPods (or similar music playing devices), I've just cottoned on to the delights of free podcasts available thru iTunes.

What podcasts are you subscribed to? Any recommendations?

I currently am subscribed to:

Mayo and Kermode: 5live movie reviews. irreverant movie reviews from Mayos friday afternoon movie show on BBC 5 live.

Fighting Talk: Often hilarious sports "quiz" on 5 live saturday mornings, they just take the p1ss out of the weeks sporting headlines. (it reminds me strongly of a sporting mock the week).

happy tree friends: Free cartoons, its like itchy and scratchy, but cuter and sicker.

stephen frys podgrammes: the world according to stephen fry. (No new episodes for a while now...)

nature podcast: Regular updates on the world of science from Nature.

I'm trying various other ones at the moment: I'm particularly keen to find more funny ones- they're good to drive to. (Or do mundane lab work :-? )

Including

Answer me this
NeverNotFunny
one of the Comedy Central ones...
HEY! HO! Lets go!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Re: Podcasts

Post by Mike »

stimpsonslostson wrote:stephen frys podgrammes: the world according to stephen fry. (No new episodes for a while now...)
This is one of my favourites but I don't really subscibe to many. Have the apple Keynote speaches and 'Speak Spanish in your Coffee Break'. Really need to catch up on both - over 100 to do on the Spanish side. :lol:
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

I started a German one for this stag-do but kept getting interupted and learnt next to nothing. I reckon I'll just have to go with the standard UK tourist approach and do a lot of pointing and talking slowly and loudly in English! :lol:
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Just raise your voice because that will enable them to hear you better.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I was told that in Germany they'll often start speaking English (if they know it, which seems likely) as soon as you show any sign of your accent. You should be fine.

Unlike the Belgian guy who claimed to be entirely oblivious of the English language (fair enough, really). Just as well I can order chocolate in French.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

I reckon as much. I had to do a few calls to a German web security company when I worked at Lloyds TSB (as an industrial placement student, such trust...or stupidity!) and seemed to get along ok. The receptionists always spoke in German but the guys I needed to speak to in-depth were fluent in their English.
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

Ok, time to update my podcast list. The latest and greatest additions are:
Sports week from Radio5. General roundup of the last 7days of sport. Good interviews and very informative (if you like sports)
Football Weekly from the Guardian. BiWeekly podcast with comments and banter regarding the weeks football news (includes indepth discussion of Europes major leagues and competitions).

And, the funniest podcast going.
SMODCAST. Kevin Smith (writer and director of Clerks, Dogma, Mallrats etc) and Scott Mosier (co-Writer of those movies) have a rambling discussion of whatever is on their minds that day. Subjects are wide ranging from ice hockey, writing films to m@sturbation. Its almost always hilarious, just don't play it over speakers in the office.
HEY! HO! Lets go!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

Might have to investigate those 2 sports ones...just not this week, don't want any reminder of losing to that bunch of Brummies!