The Guest Book

A guest book for you to sign in passing. Let us know if you liked the site.
roydavis is 63

now read on

Post by roydavis is 63 »

Sheds
"It is conventional psychological wisdom every individual requires an area of private space if a properly balanced soul is to be maintained in good order. The British working-class male has understood this for a century or more; hence the sheds and pidgeon crees and chicken houses that proliferate throughout the older industrial areas.
Big Al's shed was tangible evidence of the theory and practice. it contained a workbench, three upturned boxes for sitting on, a kettle, a tap and, unexpectedly, a filing cabinet."
The Beiderbecke Affair, by Alan Plater. page 63.
(a book which I highly recommend).

Canals
I am hoping to take alleged relative to the Anderton Boat lift later this year. I took Mrs D last year, but it was a cold day and she was not happy. There is a cafe where they supply an excellent cup of tea!

Railways
From 1975 to 1984 I worked at Accrington, and often saw Class 40 diesels hauling trains of coal waggons over the viaduct which dominates the town. An impressive sight!

Best wishes to you all

Roy. :lol:
[/url]
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Re: now read on

Post by Mike »

roydavis is 63 wrote:Railways
From 1975 to 1984 I worked at Accrington, and often saw Class 40 diesels hauling trains of coal waggons over the viaduct which dominates the town. An impressive sight!
Cool. In terms of Railways I have always thought it would be a nice sight to see steam trains continuously running into Industrial Manchester. I would love to have seen the smog, grit and dirt of the city and the gigantic warehouse etc. However, in the absense of a working time machine I will have to rely on book etc to get my sense of the romanticised era of the Railways. :wink: :D

Feel free to join us in the other forums, we play nice. Honest. :twisted: :wink:
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

would love to have seen the smog, grit and dirt of the city
I used to see this every time I caught the bus back from Manchester into Salford. Come late afternoon, the smog rolled in and covered the city in a thick, noxious blanket. Noses and lungs were black and bronchitis was rife.

The dark ages? No, the 1960s when I was old enough to travel into Manchester by myself.

The Good Old Days? No, you can keep them for me. The here and now is much better.