Atherton Camera Club

A meeting ground for photographic discussions. Post all about your equipment, favourite locations, tips and tricks here.
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Atherton Camera Club

Post by Andy »

Sorry, I don't know its true title. Anyway, this is a question for all of you - Can you give me some information on the club because I am sensing that Rowenna wants to get back into her photography - we are going today to photograph in a National Trust property.

What time does it generally run from and till on a Thursday night? What is the general format for the evening? Do you have to do regular photography? Do you need to turn up regularly? Do you have to stay for the whole session? Do you need a certain type of camera, etc. Sorry, we have no idea.
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Atherton & District Amateur Photographic Society (ADAPS) runs all year round on Thursday evenings from 8pm. In the winter (September - April) there are Digital Nights on two Tuesdays per month, again at 8pm.

We have a mixture of tevhnique nights, practical sessions, talks, competitions, etc that run maybe to 9pm or 9.30pm, after which it's Tea and Chat for as long as we like.

Specific requests can be catered for in the syllabus, which you can check out on our website http://www.adaps.org.uk

Any more questions, give me a call or even call around one evening - you're not that far away!

John
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Thankyou for your quick reply John,

I must say firstly that I was very impressed by the website - it looks very professional and is very comprehensive. I am also impressed at the amount of facilities that you have! Rowenna liked the fact that you have a 'dark room'.

The plan is for me and Rowenna to come on Thursday - however, I notice that it is ''Len Hudson's annual Chairman's Night'' - would this be a suitable one to come to? Also, am I right in saying that the location is behind the 'fish and chip shop'?

I have no photography experience whatsoever, Rowenna is much better than me and baffled me last night with the terminology! I am a complete novice and am appalling compared to the pictures on the website (I liked your picture of Haigh Hall - good angle). However, I will try my best! :wink:

We have a camera - a Praktica - I'll place the version of it on here when I go home and check which one it is.
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Len's talk will be "The History of Portraiture" - if that sounds OK, please do come along and we'll be pleased to see you both.

Walk down Bullough Street by the fish and chip shop and turn left into the entry way down the far side of the old cinema, now a dance school. You'll see the lights on and the cars parked down there.

Talking of hostory, apparently the old cinema was a silent one that was never converted to "talkies". 8)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

johnriley1uk wrote:Talking of hostory, apparently the old cinema was a silent one that was never converted to "talkies". 8)
I am constantly amazed by the new fangled technology. I have also heard of a machine which allows you to talk over very long distances. I don't like the sound of it really but it is impressive. :wink:
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Thanks John, that sounds fine. I just didn't want it to be an annual general meeting. All being well, we should see you there at 8 o'clock.
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Just a quick message to pass on thanks for the warm welcome from John and his friends. Myself and Rowenna enjoyed the evening and I learnt a number of interesting facts. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything permitting, we should see you next week when we will bring our cameras for some photography. I apologise in advance for my attempts! :oops:
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Glad to hear you both enjoyed it.

Nest week is all lined up and Ian Aldcroft (an excellent portrait photographer) will be helping everyone to improve their skills.

It's a practical session, and no sneaky taking pictures of girls with no film in your cameras... :wink:

Come to think of it, all the digital photographers will be doing exactly that. What a disgrace :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

girls you say? interesting, i may have to observe the shoot myself
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Well, I'm going to borrow my dad's digital camera seeing as we can't get the parts yet for the other two cameras I own.

I will try my best and I am sorry if I keep on asking for advice throughout the night.

Fez, I have no desire to see you do an Austin Powers impression in the camera club! *chortles to himself as he sees an image of Fez prancing around in a dodgy suit saying ''yeah baby, yeah, work it for the camera''
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Andy wrote:Fez prancing around in a dodgy suit saying ''yeah baby, yeah, work it for the camera''
smashing baby! :lol:
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Fez wrote:
Andy wrote:Fez prancing around in a dodgy suit saying ''yeah baby, yeah, work it for the camera''
smashing baby! :lol:
OHHH BEHAVE!!!!!!!
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Sorry for not turning up last night. We would have done but for two over-riding factors -

1) Rowenna is ill and was therefore unsure about whether to come out or not
2) I lost my passport and didn't find it until 02.30am this morning!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Sorry to hear she was unwell - hope she's better now.

I'll have to clarify one point though - you don't actually need a passport to enter Atherton. Just to get out again... :lol:
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

johnriley1uk wrote:Sorry to hear she was unwell - hope she's better now.

I'll have to clarify one point though - you don't actually need a passport to enter Atherton. Just to get out again... :lol:
Hehehe - Atherton is like the Village of the Damned - once you are in their radius, they attempt to control your mind.

Attendance for next week is dubious - I only arrive home from Spain that morning, Rowenna only arrives from Newcastle that night. However, we will bring our annual membership money the following Thursday. Am I right in believing that it is ?30 each - I overheard a conversation saying that it had gone up due to the amount of work you had done on the clubhouse.