Public Opinion Poll - The Beetham Tower, Manchester

Architecture, Research and Design. A place for everyone to chill out and look cool. Buildings, competitions, reviews? Post em all here.

The Beetham Tower is

Excellent
17%
Good
No votes
Bad
33%
Indifferent
50%

Total votes: 6

Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

?4.50 for a bottle of beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is ludicrously expensive - sod the views, I'd need an ambulance after shelling out that much!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

It is rather expensive but worth it for the view. We could see if we could get it to last for about an hour (or until the view becomes abit boring!) and then go somewhere very cheap to make up for it. :D
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. how cheap? Very cheap? Cheap enough to get wrecked for ?15? Cheap enough to have change for a foot long subway sub?
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I hope they take credit cards there, and it should be easy to reach any kind of "minimum spend" there. Who's going to get the first round, then?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

?4.50? what the hell?!? does it taste better that high off the floor or are the bar owners working on the same idea as service stations of 'where else are you going to get a drink without another long journey to go on'?
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Fez wrote:are the bar owners working on the same idea as service stations of 'where else are you going to get a drink without another long journey to go on'?
I wonder how much an actual pint is - ?6? Or would they just have bottles because it is so high up. Is there a balcony area where you can bravely go out onto to look at the views?
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

who would be mad enough to lug the barrels all the way up there for the taps? it must be all bottled or flown in by helicopter
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I'd kind of assume they had service lifts or something. Or just a very big line from barrels stashed on the ground floor...imagine trying to pull that if it's draught.
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

mr_e wrote:Or just a very big line from barrels stashed on the ground floor...imagine trying to pull that if it's draught.
As your having a bottle of beer the public address system goes ''And tonights special guest barman is Arnold Schwarzenegger!!!!!!!!!!''

I wonder if they'd ID you all the way up there?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I have also heard that they have been managing the queue's really ruthlessly and make you queue to get into the building, then into the lift before you will be able to get a drink.

I suppose it is to make people think that you are going to get a really good time and it is fantastically popular! There is waiter service when you manage to get up to the top floor though. :roll:

I think the beer is so expensive because it is the only place 23 storeys above ground where you can see the entire city. I think that is could also be due to the fact that the bar will have a limited life span for the non hotel users. :twisted:
Mike
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

i think i'll stick to bars built on the ground floor where prices are slightly less steep!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Mike wrote:I think the beer is so expensive because it is the only place 23 storeys above ground where you can see the entire city.
Sod it, does anyone know people who work at the CIS building? We could bribe the security guard to let us take some beers up to the roof or something...
My annual NYE song
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

Yes I know people who work in CIS and i also know the person whose new flat will cover the whole of the top floor of the beetham. Doesn't mean i can get you in for free tho
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

John Knight wrote:Doesn't mean i can get you in for free tho
Or at all! lol :wink:
Mike
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Bribery of CIS security seems the best bet, but I don't know if the roof space is any good, or that you can get a table and chairs up there. Details, details...
My annual NYE song