Road Congestions Charges

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Road Congestions Charges

Post by Mike »

Have you heard the latest ideas for a road / congestion charge which will be based on the number of miles travelled and where? I think that there are several severe issues with this.

1 - We already pay a charge for using the roads. It is called Road Tax, which I hasten to add has just gone through the roof for normal cars.

2 - The charge will be goverened by a black box which will calculate the number of miles travelled and where. Thus you will have a complicated system for working out how conjested the area was compared with the miles traveled in that area. I think that this will actually make it difficult to double check and people will be charged over the odds for it.

3 - WE will have to have the black box installed. Why on earth would we want to? It is probably going to cost us money not the government.

4 - They will TRACK every car in the UK. WHY is this neccessary? It really, really does concern me that we are being tabbed. Is it going to get to the stage where the data centre will pick up on these coments. They will then watch me travel around manchester via CCTV and track my movements by car???? (Extreeme example but probably possible!)

5 - The whole thing could be avoided by TEACHING people how to DRIVE!!!! :evil: I think just prosecuting the middle lane hoggers on the motorway would raise similar funds in fines and clear the motorways too.

Rant over you will be pleased to hear.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I totally agree with what you say.
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

I totally 100% agree with you Mike !!

Furthermore- correct me if I am wrong- we pay the most in fuel duty in the whole of Europe (and I have certainly heard that our unnaturally high duty helps to subsidise US fuel prices)- where does the money from this go?

Are motorists going to have to endure yet another stealth tax !! Which yet again punishes the hard working majority of this country and who want to work and pay there taxes !!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think we should just refuse to install the black boxes. How would they know? We would be untrackable! :twisted:
Mike
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

the dvla have all vehicle data recorded so would know who had had the boxes fitted because the system would have to be updated just like if your car is modified beyond the original manufacter spec. they'd probably even charge you if you'd had one fitted but not told them about it.

apart from that i agree with everything you've said; the road protesters sould swing back again and i'd join them.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

It'd be a great plan if I believed for one second they were going to plough all the money back into effective public transport. Plus it penalises those who need their cars to do their job (salesmen, tradesmen on call etc). Longer-term, the problem lies with the business-led "need" for a mobile labour pool, which the current city infrastructure and people's need for some kind of social stability render extremely difficult. It simply doesn't address these underlying problems.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

A very good point mr_e. Mike, I agree with you entirely. Where will the money go? It certainly won't benefit me at all. I'm already feeling the pinch of petrol prices. 2 years ago it was 72.9p and I got 13 1/2 litres for a tenner, now I get 10.5 for a tenner. That is three litres a week I am losing and three pounds extra I'm having to pay. I know it isn't that much but that is one hell of an inflation - nearly ?200 a year. If that continues, it'll ?400 by 2010, probably more. The trouble is that the demand is there for it and in a panic situation people will pay for it.

The black box reminds me of Big Brother. Soon I won't be able to go to the loo without them analysing it.

Middle-lane Motorway Hoggers are probably my most hated kind of driver. They keep to 55 mph in that lane and cause endless stress and problems for everyone around me which ends up creating a 'dog-eat-dog' situation on the motorway, which ends up creating accidents. I don't mind any driver on the motorway so long as they keep to the flow / speed of their lane, if not, get out of there!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Andy wrote:2 years ago it was 72.9p and I got 13 1/2 litres for a tenner, now I get 10.5 for a tenner.
eeee, when i was a lad you go out of a night for a fiver and still have the money for chips and the tram home. the world was black and white and we all ate coal because potatoes were for rich 'uns.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Fez wrote:
Andy wrote:2 years ago it was 72.9p and I got 13 1/2 litres for a tenner, now I get 10.5 for a tenner.
eeee, when i was a lad you go out of a night for a fiver and still have the money for chips and the tram home. the world was black and white and we all ate coal because potatoes were for rich 'uns.
and when you came home and said the teacher battered you, your mum didn't complain, she battered you for inconveniencing the teacher, etc, etc, Warburtons bread was tastier and cheese was a luxury, etc, etc, Churchill was great, bananas were rare, etc, etc,.... They were damn good days for petrol prices. Now it is chuffing ridiculous.

Just had a thought, how long before this black box is updated so it can regulate or check your speed. There are some instances of driving where you need to speed up - to avoid an accident for example, to overtake a push bike / moped / milk float that is doing 20mph and slowing everyone down. In those situations we will get fined and yet we were in the right because essentially our speeding was for the safety of others - avoidance of road rage, etc.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Petrol prices increasing are one of those inevitabilities: we're using it faster than plankton are dying and forming more oil, so expect the major oil companies to milk it, with increasing resentment from poorer countries as they realise they aren't seeing much of those price increases. I feel a letter to my MP coming on here...like "it's a finite resource, what are we doing about reducing dependency on it!?"
My annual NYE song
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hybrid cars are really cool, Emma at work has just bought a honda one. The systems on the car look really great, it shows you were the power for the drive is coming from at each speed. How much energy is being collected by the batteries etc. Also when you are stopped at lights the car is totally silent. Really freaky!

Not only that but the 1.5 estate that she bought is surprisingly nippy (her opinion), I suppose that is all relative but it surprised me! :D
Mike
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

Sounds really cool - but how expensive was it ????
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

mr_e wrote:Petrol prices increasing are one of those inevitabilities:
The next car I buy will be one that takes LP Gas. It is half the cost.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The car was about ?17K which is comparable to a normal car really. Not only that but with an 8 year guarantee on the electrical systems!

As soon as you go to LPG andy the cost will double as they start taxing it! You know it will happen it is sods law. :D
Mike
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

We're also running out of north sea gas, so expect LPG fuel prices to follow petrol...up, up and away!

Hybrid cars do seem a pretty neat interim solution, but how would you tell if you'd stalled at the lights if it's so quiet? Obviously only a problem for women drivers, but nevertheless...
My annual NYE song