Road Congestions Charges

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

A tricycle with a luggage compartment on the back is the answer. Or a horse and saddlebags. Or walking boots.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

mr_e wrote:Hybrid cars do seem a pretty neat interim solution, but how would you tell if you'd stalled at the lights if it's so quiet? Obviously only a problem for women drivers, but nevertheless...
I don't really know if you CAN stall an electric car. You press the peddle and you are away. . . . :P
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Doh, I forgot they use the electric motor for setting off. I feel ashamed and foolish. If I drove I'd be tempted to get one, though. My order of preference tends to go walk> cycle> bus> train> ferry> car> plane.

Those tricycles are well cool, but I rarely see them on sale. Imagine fleets of them during rush hour instead of cars...that would be ace. Someone just needs to rebuild cities to mean there's no more than a four mile journey to work, with no hills.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

johnriley1uk wrote:A tricycle with a luggage compartment on the back is the answer.
We'd all look like the kid of 'The Shining'. That would be freaky.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

mr_e wrote:My order of preference tends to go walk> cycle> bus> train> ferry> car> plane.
I have NEVER known you to cycle. Therefore the list must go
walk > bus > train > ferry > car > plane
surely!? :?
Mike
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

The really annoying thing about cyclists is those lurid, tight fitting. all-in-one. figure-hugging, your-arse-looks-huge-in-it, got some crap sponsor on, lime green tops. Can't stand them.

mr_e, I too never cycle. My solidarity and respect goes out to you.
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Andy wrote:The really annoying thing about cyclists is those lurid, tight fitting. all-in-one. figure-hugging, your-arse-looks-huge-in-it, got some crap sponsor on, lime green tops.
yeah, mike does look like a right tit in his cycling gear. i just where tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Mike wrote:
mr_e wrote:My order of preference tends to go walk> cycle> bus> train> ferry> car> plane.
I have NEVER known you to cycle. Therefore the list must go
walk > bus > train > ferry > car > plane
surely!? :?
Order of preference does not relate to what I actually do. I might cycle, if I had a bike, the roads weren't scary with that many buses on, and there wasn't that bloody huge hill up past the town hall on the way into work. Plus I don't think there's actually any secure cycle area at work, although it may just be hidden away somewhere.
My annual NYE song
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

mr_e wrote: . . . .I don't think there's actually any secure cycle area at work, although it may just be hidden away somewhere.
That is to discourage you from cycling and therefore making more money off you all in tax on cars. . . . :evil:
Mike
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

Yes I agree - it would be virtually impossible for a male driver to stall at lights, given that he's far too busy reving his engine at the car next to him in some weird attempt to get away quicker thus massaging his fragile little ego !! :wink:
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

mr_e wrote:We're also running out of north sea gas, so expect LPG fuel prices to follow petrol...up, up and away!

Hybrid cars do seem a pretty neat interim solution, but how would you tell if you'd stalled at the lights if it's so quiet? Obviously only a problem for women drivers, but nevertheless...
Yes I agree - it would be virtually impossible for a male driver to stall at lights, given that he's far too busy reving his engine at the car next to him in some weird attempt to get away quicker thus massaging his fragile little ego !! :wink:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Road Congestions Charges

Post by Mike »

The liberal democrats want to charge us 8p a kilometer (which is less than a mile - see what they did there?) to drive on the roads. They assume that this would mean we are going to be charged an extra £23.20 (assuming 290km travelled) to travel from Manchester to London. One way so that would be £50 tax in the bag for the government on every retrun journey. This would be governed by a series of tracking black boxes that are to be fitted into each and every car.

Well. That sucks. At the moment I can drive on the roads as much as I want for £100 a year. I guess I travel about 18,000miles a year (28,800km) so that means my annual tax bill will be £2,304 per year or 23 times the current tax rate. What a stupid idea to really screw up your election campaign. :roll:
Mike
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

Tomorrow morning there will be a "Go slow" in protest at the price of fuel,
A ' go-slow' protest by motorcyclists is being planned for the
Manchester/Salford area tomorrow (Thursday 5 June).

Around 1000 cyclists are expected to take part in the protest which is
over current fuel prices. The University has been informed by Greater
Manchester Police (GMP) that the protest is due to start at 7.00am at
Birch Services on the M62 near Middleton.

Disruption is expected on the M62, M60 and M602, as well as Trafford
Road.

GMP say that the level of disruption is difficult to predict, however if
you are travelling to the University tomorrow morning you should allow
extra time for your journey.
just thought you should all know.
Also there's a planned strike by shell delivery drivers that although shell recently announced the highest profits in British business history their pay appeal has been turned down. This is predicted to cause price rises, shortages and general disruption- especially as they are talking about parking their lorries across the exits to their depots so NO ONE can deliver fuel!
Thank god for the bike I say! In response to the trike thread... I've got an idea for the ultimate commuter cycle-
Take a KMX (google it- its half backwards trike, half reclining bike and all cool!) add dynamo lights and indicators, even a electric engine for the lazy and some sort of fibreglass shell- with windscreen, doors and boot to protect against wind and rain. you could do convertibles etc! I'd buy one! Recliners are quicker and more aerodynamic than "regular" bikes.
Anyone wanna start a business? I'd love to do it, even just for my commute. storage would be an issue tho.
P
HEY! HO! Lets go!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Sheesh... the lib dem's proposal's will bring car hourney prices into line with trains, but I think most people had hoped that train prices would go down instead. They're definitely going for the "everyone shall travel less! Now!" type of enviro-political policies that rub a lot of people up the wrong way. If they could guarantee all the cash would go towards better public transport, then it might just about be worthwhile.

I can also envisage a collapsible trike with some kind of lightweight, detachable, waterproof roof going down fairly well. Reminds me of the rickshaw-style bike taxis in New York. Those guys must've been really fit.
My annual NYE song
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Post by stimpsonslostson »

I can also envisage a collapsible trike with some kind of lightweight, detachable, waterproof roof going down fairly well. Reminds me of the rickshaw-style bike taxis in New York. Those guys must've been really fit.
yep, I'm thinking a superlightweight FAST commuter version of that idea, something like this... (BTW- this one hit 81mph!! By human power!)

http://www.ent.ohiou.edu/~et181/hpv/Whi ... _81mph.jpg

but more user friendly- which is why the KMX is my base- its stable, light and handles really well and yet can cope with potholes etc.

oh bugger- it already exists- leitra but they cost a minimum of 4500euro. Surely something cheaper is possible.
http://leitra.dk/news.php

p
HEY! HO! Lets go!