Serious Virus . . . . Fixed

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Serious Virus . . . . Fixed

Post by Mike »

Hiya all,

I was just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of this virus that was on a friends pc. This virus prevented running "regedit", "task manager" and running "java".

It was an impressive feat that eventually took a format to get rid off. We now installed ANTIVIRUS and FIREWALL to his machine and it should work brilliantly from now on.

Take care,
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

Can't say its one I've heard of, (no suprise really).

Has anyone heard of these viruses, ( I won't mention the names unless requested, don't want people thinking I'm promoting virus use).

:arrow: worm, attached to a picture of a tennis player, Anna somebody or other...at least I think its tennis)
:arrow: e-mailed your recently used files, to random addresses
:arrow: executed July 19th, first process only worm, affected memory
:arrow: infected at least 2 million, generated traffic, blocked servers
:arrow: attempts to steal passwords by monitoring typing, and e-mailing words

Its just some I found out about from college. Apparently the Annawhatever was written by a 19 year old, using tools available, (or where available...hopefully aren't now) on the internet. I know they say the internet can be a great resource, but to me that kinda draws the line.

But then I suppose these are quite well-known, so this was probably a pointless post. I hate viruses...seriously though, there just isn't a point to them....apart from enertaining sadistic people who do such things because they can.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Unfortunately, there often is a point to them, though, and that usually includes stealing information (see the theft of Valve's source code incident), or conducting DOS attacks against people who've annoyed the virus writers.

I am impressed (read:wtf!?) he didn't appear to have anti-virus or firewall software on his machine to start with, though. Incidentally, why prevent running Java? The other two I can understand, but that?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

mr_e wrote:I am impressed (read:wtf!?) he didn't appear to have anti-virus or firewall software on his machine to start with, though. Incidentally, why prevent running Java? The other two I can understand, but that?
It was running Java but would not let me access the programme. It was wierd. His own fault really, who does not have a firewall for goodness sake????
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Mike wrote:His own fault really, who does not have a firewall for goodness sake????
One less person now, thanks to you. If everyone kept it up to date, there'd be less virii spread. so that can only be a good thing.
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

It looks like mr_e took Latin at school.... :wink:
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Who can forget the Longman Latin series? Grumio the cook, Cerberus the dog, Caecilius the rich guy's son, and the real-life drama of Agrippa's assassination attempts.