The Nature of Technology

A meeting ground for photographic discussions. Post all about your equipment, favourite locations, tips and tricks here.
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

The Nature of Technology

Post by TAOWBST »

Just wondered what you think of this:

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

I think it looks pretty wierd. What are you trying to acheive with the ephotozine text thing? :?
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Trying to hotlink to EPZ doesn't work.

You'll need to give us the link as I did with "Alien Beauty"
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Interesting effect. I think that it is a good idea. Is it your work?
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

Mike wrote:I think it looks pretty wierd. What are you trying to acheive with the ephotozine text thing? :?
What text? I can see the image in that post.

I think its worked for me.
Interesting effect. I think that it is a good idea. Is it your work?
Thanks, Mike but it is indeed my work. I've actually revised that pic since this morning. Heres the new version:

johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I like it, but I wonder if the two smiling subjects wouldn't look better if they weren't smiling. Maybe that's me being my usual miserable self..... :roll:
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

How are you getting on with Photobucket? :?:
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

johnriley1uk wrote:I like it, but I wonder if the two smiling subjects wouldn't look better if they weren't smiling. Maybe that's me being my usual miserable self..... :roll:
Thats a fair point, John but in my defence I think the expressions add balance to the image. With the two outer faces not smiling, balances well with those that are smiling.
How are you getting on with Photobucket?
When did I mention Photobucket? I like it though all the same. Its useful for this sort of thing.
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

It's your picture, so it's your interpretation, so despite any and all comments always stay true to your vision. 8)

You didn't mention Photobucket, I just knew what the source site for the picture was. How did i know? Right click and look at Properties and all is revealed! I was actually intrigued as to how you had made EPZ hotlink, but of course you hadn't, you cunning photographer.... :wink:
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

TAOWBST wrote:

I think its worked for me.
It's worked for you because you already have the image in your browser's cache, so it's sourced straight from your hard-disk instead of trying to use the link. If I copy and paste the address to view the ePZ page then return to this one, I can see it too, but it's not exactly ideal.

With regards to the image itself, the idea is cool, but both roots are let down by the shadowing looking too dark/not in the right place, and the perspective where the root to our left joins the frame at the upper end makes the frame look like it should be bending backwards, slightly escher-esque. Otherwise it's a solid pic. [/critique mode]
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

I think it looks like a goth version of Mount Rushmore.

Which one are you TAO? The one on the left, the one on the right, the one in the middle, or neither?
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

johnriley1uk wrote:It's your picture, so it's your interpretation, so despite any and all comments always stay true to your vision. 8)

You didn't mention Photobucket, I just knew what the source site for the picture was. How did i know? Right click and look at Properties and all is revealed! I was actually intrigued as to how you had made EPZ hotlink, but of course you hadn't, you cunning photographer.... :wink:
Ah of course.....I did know about properties I just thought I'd have mentioned photobucket somewhere and forgotten.
It's worked for you because you already have the image in your browser's cache, so it's sourced straight from your hard-disk instead of trying to use the link. If I copy and paste the address to view the ePZ page then return to this one, I can see it too, but it's not exactly ideal.

With regards to the image itself, the idea is cool, but both roots are let down by the shadowing looking too dark/not in the right place, and the perspective where the root to our left joins the frame at the upper end makes the frame look like it should be bending backwards, slightly escher-esque. Otherwise it's a solid pic. [/critique mode]
If thats the case how is it that I can still see it in the post now? You should be able to see the updated version then here at least - since thats not linked to ephotozine - thats direct from photobucket. Where would you have put the shadows?
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

You can still see the ePZ one because the Temporary Internet Files folder isn't actually temporary: most web files sit on your hard-disk ready to be called upon in future, instead of having to be downloaded again (your browser will always check there before it tries to download stuff). In this case, you must've visited your image on ePZ before, so it didn't try to use the link as it was already on your hard-disk, which is fortunate, as the link doesn't work. The Photobucket one works fine for everyone, as they allow hotlinking.

Sorry, I suck at explaining and not being patronising.

As for the shadows, I'd figure out where my light source was, then work it out from there. It's slightly difficult with the roots being at different heights from the shadowed surface, so I'll leave you to do it. I'm ebil.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

Andy wrote:I think it looks like a goth version of Mount Rushmore.

Which one are you TAO? The one on the left, the one on the right, the one in the middle, or neither?
And I'm neither.
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

pictures of tao can be found at greatermanchesterpolice.com
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt