The New Doctor Who

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!

The New Doctor Who was

Excellent
33%
Promising but good
67%
Fair
No votes

Total votes: 12

johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

The New Doctor Who

Post by johnriley1uk »

So what did we think? It's been a long time, and the new series had to be of its age - today, so it couldn't be the same as before. Billy Piper was much, much better than I believed she could be. The script was not half bad, no sense of mystery in the story unfolding, but plenty to hold the interest. Nicely filmed. Christopher Eccleston? I'm thinking about it, but a pretty impressive debut.

All very different and definitely promising?
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Overall, I thought the show got off to a decent start that might get better as time goes on once I become accustomed to the characters and general set up. I thought Chris Ecclestone was really good as the Doctor and Billy Piper was too - though the mother and the boyfriend were just pointless and in some places plain daft.

However, there were weaker points I have a feeling can't be ironed out. Being 45 mintues instead of an hour has left the story feeling cramped, and in the first episode some bits felt rushed - the Doctor in Rose's flat and the final confrontation with...whatever the hell that thing was, just didn't hold any sense of climax and could have been better.

The humour was good - though again the bit in Rose's flat could have benefitted from being longer and given more time to develope - but there's going to have to be some work done on the writing if any of the episodes are going to have an element of drama about them.

In the last couple of years Buffy and Angel have set a standard for this kind of thing, and in terms of production this wasn't up to that level - smaller budet probably - and I have to repeat something Bonny Greer said on Newsnight Review on Friday; the whole thing feels a bit cheap, more could have been made of the story.

Nice attempt, but in future has to try harder - something that appeared a lot on my school reports in fact!

Interesting to note John that you didn't include the option poor as part of the poll, though I can't believe anyone with an interest in sci-fi TV would have thought it that bad anyway - ahh, was that why it wasn't included? Are you a mindreader?
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Damn, I knew there was something I was supposed to do on Saturday night. I can't belive I forgot about it. I hang my head in shame.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

mr_e wrote:Damn, I knew there was something I was supposed to do on Saturday night. I can't belive I forgot about it. I hang my head in shame.
Luckilly for you I taped it. . . . If you ask me very nicely I am sure I can lend you the tape.

I thought Dr Who was an interesting start, it was rushed but I really enjoyed the start sequence showing a day in the lift of Rose.

I was given the impression that this episode was more about introducing Rose and by speaking to others who have never watched Dr Who before were left a bit confused as to who who was. Personally I think that was the intention as it would be silly to give the whole plot and history away in a single episode.

As for the story line, I was disapointed that they reused the Automoton's, they were never a serial baddie in Dr Who and I got the impression that the first eposide was just a remake of an older story. . . . not the most impressive ways to start a new series after so long. The only saving grace was that new people watching the episode will have never seen them before.

Take Care,
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
idlewood
Novice
Novice

Post by idlewood »

thought all in all was a lot better then i expected given previous incarnations and the old "lets make another sequal" curse.

Quite enjoyed Christopher Ecclestones version of the doctor, like a mental patient whos run low on his medication walkin around all the time while grinning inanely.....reminds me of john......and billie piper can actually act!!!!!! now that was a revelation

did read somewhere that the plot was based on the infamous missin episode from previous years (only one ever episode of dr who was recorded but never shown publicly...dont know the whys or outs of it but am scared that knowing this minor fact of complete insignificance has just blown any street cred i had 2 smithereens) and hence was an inside pun for the whoovians out there

and i thought the automations were terrible shots they only actually managed to shot one fat conspiracy freak (shadows of x files there....)

but all in all a favourable response...watch this space formore slanderous ruminations as the series progresses
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

idlewood wrote:thought all in all was a lot better then i expected given previous incarnations and the old "lets make another sequal" curse.

Quite enjoyed Christopher Ecclestones version of the doctor, like a mental patient whos run low on his medication walkin around all the time while grinning inanely.....reminds me of john......and billie piper can actually act!!!!!! now that was a revelation

did read somewhere that the plot was based on the infamous missin episode from previous years (only one ever episode of dr who was recorded but never shown publicly...dont know the whys or outs of it but am scared that knowing this minor fact of complete insignificance has just blown any street cred i had 2 smithereens) and hence was an inside pun for the whoovians out there

and i thought the automations were terrible shots they only actually managed to shot one fat conspiracy freak (shadows of x files there....)

but all in all a favourable response...watch this space formore slanderous ruminations as the series progresses
I think the plot was based on a John Pewtwee story in years gone by, the automotons were used to introduce us the UNIT which is one of my favourite parts of Dr Who ever.

Mike
Mike
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Cheesetastic

Post by John Knight »

I really enjoyed Dr Who. Thought the humor element lifted it. waiting with baited breath for next episode.

Just right dodgy cgi, men in suits and living plastic i'm in heaven (ooo errr)
liz.brownlloyd
Superior Master
Superior Master

Christopher Eccelston is Cute

Post by liz.brownlloyd »

I think the first episode of Doctor Who lived up to the hype and certainly to my own expectations.

Christopher Eccelston and Billi Piper are both excellent choices. Partially because of reputation. Eccelston has already a strong reputation in serious drama and Doctor Who allows this reputation to broaden into a more comical role. Piper gives the controversy angle and a far more fiestier campanion than some the previous wet drips. Partially because a down to earth Doctor is more accessible (even my Mum has become a fan...) to a wider audiance.

Some of the humour was a little predictable but good Saturday teatime viewing - expecially combined with Dance Fever. I have never been so excited about Saturday night TV for ages...
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I still wanted to see Richard E. Grant as the Doctor, but I shall reserve judgement until I actually see it. Must...not...miss...next...episode.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

mr_e wrote:I still wanted to see Richard E. Grant as the Doctor, but I shall reserve judgement until I actually see it. Must...not...miss...next...episode.
Like I said I have it on tape, you can have it on Thursday when we meet to play some pool.
Mike
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Episode Two

I hoped for improvement and I think this episode delivered; better effects, more drama, filled out story and now I'm beginning to regreat Mr Eccleston calling it a day.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I thought it was a very strange story, but oddly compelling, and although when you analyse it very little actually happened, it was full of nice touches. Also very good tension and drama. Getting better indeed, and now we're looking to a second series let's hope they find another inspired choice as the Doctor. What a pity Tom Baker is too old and too, er, portly now....
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Finally got to watch it...not too shabby at all. Billy Piper can indeed act, and Mr. Eccleston seems like a sound choice. I'm curious as to whether or not they're going to introduce any long-term foes, as both of them have been very self-contained at the moment. Maybe next week?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Week 2 was interesting and like mentioned above, very little happened, they seem to have been very set on showing what a wonder it is to space travel. Now I know it is a wonder but hopefully they will let the characters 'settle' into their roles as time travellers and for the storey lines to become more 'complex'.

Also I am curisous to know what happened to Gallifray. They mentioned its distruction but how can you wipe out a race of time travellers? Also it sort of distroys the idea of the Doctor being a renegade. Also was disapointed to know the time lords were destroyed in a war, just like the planet mentioned in the first episode. What is their obsession with destructive wars???? Is this the image historians will have of the beginings of the 21st century - obsession with war?? Not a thrilling prospect is it.

Maybe I am reading too much into this and should view it as entertainment but I must admit I was not entertained by the second episode.
Mike
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I saw both episodes again today, and I actually enjoyed them more the second time around. That Billy Piper is superb....

Little Bethany (nearly 3 years old now) sat totally enthralled through all of episode 1, cuddled up close to me, and laughed in all the right places, but got really tense with the Nestene bits at the end of the episode, cuddling down and holding her hands to her mouth, I suppose a sort of hiding behind the sofa pose. But she wasn't frightened, just enthralled. Very interesting response.

Mark, Hazel and Rob all loved both episodes.

So a thumbs up again from all present!