The New Doctor Who

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!

The New Doctor Who was

Excellent
33%
Promising but good
67%
Fair
No votes

Total votes: 12

Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Mike wrote: Maybe I am reading too much into this and should view it as entertainment but I must admit I was not entertained by the second episode.
Yes, you are reading too much into it - how seriously do you take a show that has a living tree as a character? As to the background of what happened to the Doctor's homeworld, I wasn't aware there was any change until you wrote about it, and as this has only come to light in the second episode maybe there will be a fuller explanation as time goes on.

Besides, isn't fantasy and sci-fi filled with endless orphaned heros, the last of their line, isolated in the big bad universe with only enemies to face and easily convinced heroines to shack up with?

Doesn't the Doctor being the last of his race stop the otherwise awkward story hole of the galaxy being full of time-travelling nutters - and if he can time-travel why the hell can't he go back and change it?

Is that going to be a future storyline, because otherwise doesn't it lead to the idea that time is pre-planned and nothing we can do can change the future, effectively making existence a loop without end? Because it can't end completely, otherwise the game would already be up and the result known.

Someone get me a theologian with a Phd in Time study!
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

It depends on how seriously the writers try to cover the time travel problem, and how much they think their audience can take. After all, it is entertainment, thought-provoking at its best, but still entertainment.

I think part of the problem with time is our limited ability to view the universe. Consider the fisherman, with a bag of wriggling worms for bait, and consider how you would explain the internal combustion engine to one of those worms.

If we were as far adrift from our understanding of the universe and the nature of time, where would we be then? Perhaps we are that far adrift...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

I rewatched the episode on sunday and was more entertained than the first viewing - but I had stopped analysing it.

One thing that is screwing with my mind though is the idea of timelords generally. Get this sequence.

1) Technologically advanced race discovers time travel.
2) They travel forward in time and make notes on all the technology that they have discovered after time travel.
3) They travel back to the 'Present' or even earlier and use the technology.
4) They can not use the technology because it was never researched due to it already have been discovered at this point my brain melts, the universe spins in on itself and implodes in a puff of improbablility. . . .

Sad arnt I?

Mike
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Mike wrote: Sad arnt I?
Do you really want a reply to that? :twisted:
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

You've both forgotten the Blinovich Limitation Effect.....

It explains why you can't save yourself in time.... :wink:
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

johnriley1uk wrote:You've both forgotten the Blinovich Limitation Effect...
How does that work then?
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Suppose you want to go back in time and eliminate a parent so you would not be born? Then if you weren't born you couldn't go back to do that, so you would be born...and so the paradox would go round and round.

But time heals itself, so if you did the deed you would find out that the parent wasn't after all, or something of that nature, and unearth some sordid affair that no-one knew about. Or events would frustrate and prevent you, but you might be the cause of your parents meeting....

Such is the Blinovich Limitation Effect, we can't escape it in that time-view! :D
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Third episode was really very good, wasnt it? I liked the special effect when the gas like alien exited the cadava. Did anyone notice that the fake looking fire was used again when the morgue exploded, it was the same images as the fires in the department store right at the begining.

Also the next episode looked very promising and I believe that the army commander person looked very like the old Brigadeer Lefbridge-Stewart. For those who remember he was also white haired and present in the Sylvestor Mc-coy series in the 80's. Obviously I dont know if it is him but time will tell. Unfortunately I have not managed to create my time machine yet so I cannot go forwards to see next weeks episode.

ttfn,
Mike
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

It was a wonderful episode, tightly written, well executed and with a fine sense of emotional warmth.

Lovely!
idlewood
Novice
Novice

Post by idlewood »

yep was pleasently impressed with this one,well presented good story and the characters are really starting to develop into their own. Starting to get on its feet now, be a shameto see mr ecclestone go after this series, i think 2 wouldhave got it on its feet good an proper an set the standard to follow.

charley dickens as well eh................
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

Don't like repeating what other people have said, so I'll just say I agree with all of the above.

A new writer was responsible for this episode rather than the Queer As Folk writer who did the first two, did anyone catch his name in the credits?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Try looking at Outpost Gallifrey I am sure they will have the information listed somewhere.
Mike
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

I am sorry I have been unable to read your posts as i managed to miss this weeks installment of Dr Who. I am hoping that mike with his usual anal retentive attention to detail will have taped it. And that if he's not to upset about anal retention comment he will lend it to me..
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

John Knight wrote:I am sorry I have been unable to read your posts as i managed to miss this weeks installment of Dr Who. I am hoping that mike with his usual anal retentive attention to detail will have taped it. And that if he's not to upset about anal retention comment he will lend it to me..
Unfortunately I did not tape this weeks episode because I was watching it. Doh!
Mike
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

EPISODE FOUR

What did you think?

Bit ropey after last week but a two parter is an interesting change, though the reappearance of the mother and boyfriend is not welcome. The aliens looked daft as well but the crashing ship was good.

David Tennet has now been confirmed as the new Doctor for the new series - what do you make of that?