Live From Manchester!

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Re: Live From Manchester!

Post by stimpsonslostson »

Van Der Graaf Generator 27/3/8 RNCM Bruntwood Hall.

I went to see them with my dad (who happens to be a big fan). I think its safe to say I was one of the youngest people there amongst an aging crowd to see this 70s prog rock/jazz group.
Whilst not entirely familiar with their catalogue I was impressed by the soundscapes created by the trio (the missing sax. player- he left recently, obviously limited their repertoire Dad bemoaned the lack of some crowd pleasers).
The changing time signatures and chordal progressions often bordering on chaotic, but always holding together somehow. (Apparently this is what they are famous for).There was no disputing the musicianship on show, intricate organ and piano parts merging together to form a whole.
The sound was excellent (as you would expect from a "proper" concert hall), with only one track being overwhelmed by the organ.
A two hour set completed with a minimum of fuss, play song, applause, thankyou, and the next track is... left a hapy crowd of obviously devoted fans.
3s .5 Not really my bag, but an interesting and almost cultural night out for me.
P
HEY! HO! Lets go!
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Baddies/Ghost of a thousand/ Reuben 6/4/8 Academy2

Baddies- ?? We Only caught the last couple of songs, but they seemed ok. Maybe worth keeping an eye out for them in future.

Ghosts of a thousand 4s . An accomplished set from these post hardcore rockers. They have improved slightly since I last saw them, they certainly managed to inject some energy into the crowd in advance of...

Reuben 4s . After a couple of false starts Reuben played a really good set. The sound and atmosphere in Academy2 were excellent. They played a great mix of old and new songs and (whisper it quietly) a small acoustic interlude. I took one star off for the slightly excessive chatting with the crowd- they could have played another song or two if they'd chatted less. Small quibble tho as the banter was very funny.

p
HEY! HO! Lets go!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

city invasion 2008: agnostic front / mdc / us bombs / peter and the test-tube babies / the restarts / the bones / deadline / static thought / random hand / creepshow / bitchfits / darkbuster / radio dead ones / shark soup / grown at home / burn subvert destroy / love & a.45 / moral dilemma / geofry oi! cult / altonomaids
bolton soundhouse
12/04/08

housed in the ground floor of one of several large ex-industrial factory buildings in the centre of bolton, the soundhouse is probably the best laid out venue ive been to outside of manchester and can boast a main stage capable of packing in four to five hundred people. unfortunately, the second performance area is close to the front door and on a cold windy day like saturday is absolutely freezing. having decided on past experience to forego taking a jacket to avoid the late night sweat once the headliners were on, i made the critically short-sighted decision to stay in the warmth of the main room and managed to miss some cracking bands; including ‘mdc’ who i had actually bought the ticket to see in the first place! on the subject of tickets, priced at nearly thirty quid once booking fees had been paid, this was a grossly overpriced gig and shared none of the economical ethos punk has. all day parking was however remarkably cheap at just under two quid, although as this was provided by the local council and not the venue it’s a strange situation where the tendrils of the state turn out to be more reasonable than the money grabbing of a supposed socially-minded gig promoter.

i was also informed as i went to leave that night in the carpark that i could get a blowjob for a cut-price fee owing to the fact it was raining – but obviously being a model citizen of impeccable moral standards i declined this invitation from the lady of the night…only having five quid left in my wallet, there was no alternative. the bar charged central manchester prices for booze, and although some kinda stew was on sale somewhere its location wasn’t advertised so i spent nine hours without food and had to wolf down a reheated meal when i got home. this lack of information connects back to missing certain bands too; because there was no program or even a list on the advertisement posters stating which acts were on which stage, i had no idea what i was missing and would have braved the chill if i had known mdc were playing next door barely twenty feet from where i was standing. that said, what i did get to see was probably of equal quality band for band [see below]
venue score: 3s
prostitute score: 3s [it was dark]

moral dilemma: a decent opening to the hour-delayed start of events, displaying all the gusto a fresh group to the scene should have, and a cute bass player ensuring my attention didn’t leave the stage even if my ears weren’t completely focused on the music all the time. the frontman might have to work on his audience banter though as he merely repeated all the ‘so nice to be here’ and ‘punk should be all inclusive’ rhetoric everyone else uses. being a continuing general trend of benign pleasantries, maybe i shouldn’t be overly mean in singling this trio out, but sadly it is the only memory that has lingered from what was an average rather than good set of songs.
2s

darkbuster: arriving from boston with a mission to increase the already overflowing reserves of odes to drinking and slacking off, the band were minus one guitarist to the normal line up after he injured himself while on tour in france. a sign that the music was not overly appealing could be discerned from the knowledge it became just as interesting to dream up funny explanations as to how the absent band member had come to grief as it was to listen to the rest of the group in action. lauding the easy life of the slacker might be what will ultimately sees darkbuster drift into obscurity, as there doesn’t seem to have been any effort made to distinguish themselves from a hundred and one other forgettable pop-rock non-entities
2s

random hand: unleashed from the badlands of bradford with a livewire trombone playing singer who led the frantically dancing masses like the pied-piper of madness, this was easily the most joyous half an hour of the day. it has to be the first time the ska-punk crossover has worked properly for me, having been subject in the past to a long list of bands who use a barrage of bland saxophone noodling to lull the crowd into a coma. in fact maybe the source of random hand’s success is that its guitar-based punk with a mile-a-minute delivery from a bouncing frontman, who drives the music into a higher gear with his trombone only when the singing has stopped. whatever the cause, this was awesome
5s

deadline: there should be a law against this degree of musical blandness. there was noise of some kind if memory serves correct, could have been drums and guitar, could have been the distant rumble of heavy goods vehicles, and a ginger haired woman warbling like a songbird that can’t remember the tune. it was such a come down after the celebration of random hand that i wouldn’t have flinched if someone had started to rub medical alcohol into my eyes.
1s

the restarts: returning to the isolated reaches of the north-west of england from the far away promised land of london for the second time since last year’s anarchistic undertone’s christmas gig, the restarts would probably be a lot more popular if they realised the country to the north of birmingham is not a leper colony. although being veterans of the genre for over ten years, the touring schedule rarely brings the spiky haired trio to this uncivilized backwater, which probably has a lot to do with the uncertain reception from the crowd who didn’t know many songs. presumably the reluctance to journey beyond the capital has also resulted in a great band being put lower down the bill than should really be allowed and it disappointingly affected the overall impression of the set.
4s

peter and the test-tube babies: being a devoted fan of the distillers [rip] i was preprogrammed to dislike the aforementioned peter after he acted like a prick in front of the undisputed queen of loveliness brody dale [ah, be still my pounding heart]. however, believing it was only fair to judge this bastard, er, band, on the merits of its performance alone, i can say without fear of contradiction that they were shit. undoubtedly a great deal of people do enjoy the pub hunour of songs about picking up transvestites and fighting in the street, but i am not so impressed with the unfunny toilet jokes and frankly amateurish guitar playing; constant squeals of high-pitched feedback marred the performance or playing stopped altogether when he couldn’t remember the riffs. in the right setting of a working man’s pub on a friday night after way too many drinks it probably does work, but not today and certainly not good enough to be on after the restarts.
1s [and that’s being generous]

us bombs: at this stage of the night i had realized the folly of not migrating between the two stages, because although this punk-lite seemed to hit the mark with younger members of the audience who were more familiar with the offspring than with the clash, many of us simply looked on and finished our drinks waiting for the proper headliners to appear. that’s not to say the us bombs didn’t give it their all and really dominated the room, its just most of us aren’t from california and don’t give a shit about the internal preoccupations of the sunshine state. the first two songs of the set were called something like ‘sons of america’ and ‘american youth’; maybe someone should of explained this is bolton where the sun hasn’t shown its face since 1861 and the kids have bigger problems than worrying if their parents are going to raise their allowances by giving them another american express card to play with. ill chosen songs considering the surroundings is probably the best way of describing the overall experience.
2s

agnostic front: surviving this explosion of new york’s finest hitting the stage would be somewhere along the same lines of dealing with fireworks; light the fuse and retreat to a safe distance. the leading portion of the crowd became a seething mass of flailing limbs and airborne pint cups as a relentless barrage of high-octane songs laid waste to the main stage. it was, as agnostic’s frontman said himself, a real shame that fellow hardcore legends mdc were playing at the same time in the other room, so it seemed the band were compensating for the lack of planning by the gig organizers by delivering a performance that was little short of a declaration of war against pretty much the entire universe. if the world had ended when agnostic front were on stage, no one would have noticed or even cared.
5s
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Frank Turner 15 April 2008 - Joshua Brooks

I liked this gig, it was good to see the basement to the Joshua Brooks in Manchester. I would give the support acts
3S
2S
3S

and the main event as a 4S which is pretty good since I have not listened to his music that much. The atmosphere was amazing. :-D I will let the others fill in the names of the support acts and a more educated opinion of the gig.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

I'm interested to see what you all made of this gig. I thought the venue was suprisingly good (except for the pillars and archways) and the sound impressive.

The supports were:
1- I missed this bands name, kinda funky poppy rock- they seemed quite decent. 3s
2-Ciara Haidar, Amy Winehouse/lily allen influenced soul pop- not the best performance. As she was on her own there was a lack of diversity in the set. I think with a band she might be better. 2s
3- Andy Yorke, folky guitar with a decent vocal performance. he seemed to have a few sound issues, which were resolved towards the end of the set. I've heard his stuff on myspace, and am slowly coming around. 3s

Frank Turner
Played a fantastic set to rapturous applause. Sound was good and even his banter worked! Having seen frank solo and with a band I must say I prefer WITH band- this allows him to give more life and have a laugh rather than carrying the whole show. He covered all the hits (except Thatcher- much to Beckys annoyance), and threw in a couple of unusual tunes- Jetlag was amazing on guitar instead of piano. I just wish it had gone on longer! Considering the price: 5s (but I'm biased ;-) )
p
HEY! HO! Lets go!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

The first band were called 'Official Secrets Act', I'm not sure I have much of an opinion to be honest. They weren't offensive by any means, just didn't think they stood out too much. 2s

Ciara Haidar - I actually preferred seeing her live than when I heard some of her stuff on MySpace. The songs did tend to blend into one, but as Phil says that was mainly due to her solo performance. Not sure I'd buy a cd though. 3s

Andy Yorke - Hmm...not sure where I sit with him. I really like the stuff on his MySpace page and will definitely be checking out anything he releases, but I don't think that last night was the best performance he'd ever given. It was also a little too gentle for a Tuesday night in a hot basement and was making me (and others) a little drowsy! 2s

Frank Turner - What can I say? Top performance from a genuinely talented singer-songwriter. It's a pity that he'll never get the radioplay he deserves because he's too 'uncommercial'. The songs sounded great fleshed out with the band and I'm looking forward to seeing him next time he comes around. 5s
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

the breeders / jim noir
manchester academy 2
14/04/08

eccentricity has saved jim noir from being just another bland singer-songwriter, though this may have more to do with his lack of dress sense than what he actually does with music. i dont care for yet more love songs stapled to a directionless guitar-strum, but there was something about noir that suggested he was genuinely doing it for the music and not a hack waiting for his next cheque.
2s

having enjoyed the solo gig of pixies' frontman frank black about a month ago, i was looking forward to seeing what kim deal could offer when she took centre stage with her 'other' band. aided and abetted by her sister kelly on guitar and an obviously close knit group of versitle musicians behind, there was a tremendous feeling of unity about the whole evening with between song jokes and banter going back and forth on stage and out into the audience. everybody seemed intent on dancing which was a surprise if only to me because the black show, while great fun, was quite fixed and static. though all of the music was new to my ears, every tune was distinct and many numbers induced an immediate urge to bounce around in time to a fearsomely bass groove, dispelling any thought that the breeders are just a side-project while the pixies enjoy another hiatus. it is testament to kim deal's cult hero status that she can claim the honour of being in two maverick bands that have redefined the boundaries of rock.
5s
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

sonic boom six / big d and the kids table / random hand
manchester club academy
21/05/08

after the euphoric experience of their city invasion set last month in bolton, i bought a ticket to this show purely on the strength of random hand’s on stage charisma and conviction that day to make the masses dance, but had begun to have doubts in the days leading up to this gig. having secured a copy of the band’s debut album, ‘change of plan’, i had noticed a few songs sounded quite similar to each other as the guitar and trombone attack began to use up its reserves of ideas; it’s still a solid record although constant references to the track listing are still needed to tell some of the tunes apart. thankfully the on stage assault of random hand made such worries disintegrate as the important live element of the band’s punch which is muted on vinyl is allowed to run wild. robin leitch’s personality shines with humour and an obvious love for what he is doing, and coupled to only a short time to breathe between songs creates an exciting energy that is impossible not to be drawn to. the new songs included in the set prove the band still has a lot to offer in future, and it was surprising that after six years this was the first time the bradford group had played at the academy. if every gig causes such a storm, it wont be long before they return higher up the bill.
5s

having no idea who the hell this preposterously named american group were, i had decided to do some homework before the show and bought one of big d’s records to find out what to expect and didn’t bother to repeat the first listen. expectations were low as the ‘good luck’ album had passed me by in puddle of disinterest, but i owe the band a sincere apology because the set was a consuming mix of ska and reggae orientated punk with some old british classics by the likes of sham 69 thrown in for good measure. everyone was in the mood to dance for every song, and even the uninitiated like me disappointed when the set eventually came to and end. don’t know what went was wrong when I played that album, but i’ll be paying a lot more attention the next time its in the stereo.
5s

manchester’s own punk cliché-smashing act mix the standard guitar barrage with hip-hop, dance, ska and god know’s how many other styles to create a groundbreaking sound that will appeal to many beyond the realms of the underground rock scene. how sonic boom six have remained unrecognised for this long is a mystery, but the attraction to this hybrid musical collective drew a large sway of mancs away from their television sets and champion’s league final into the bowels of the academy. unfortunately for me in a change of direction from the two bands above, it turned out to be a case of sonic boom six being better on record than live if only on this occasion; a poor sound mix left a lot of the vocals unintelligible which was a real shame because the diverse lyrics were something that really captured my attention when listening to the band’s debut record ‘ruff guide to genre terrorism’ before the gig. even so this was an absorbing show with the best of three great bands topping the bill.
5s
stimpsonslostson
Master of the North Wind
Master of the North Wind

Tues 3/6/8 Academy2
We arrived just in time to see Pepper 4s
A very enjoyable set from these hawaiiaiiaiiaiin reggae/ska/punks. They engaged the crowd well and sounded good too. A bright fun start to set the tone for...

Flogging Molly 5s
Surely one of the best live acts going at the moment. Raucous pogoing ensued from start to finish of a well balanced set. I love the atmosphere at Molly gigs- everyone is jubilant at seeing such a good band. Excellent sound too! I left aching, hoarse, slightly deaf, dripping with sweat and grinning from ear to ear! :P
HEY! HO! Lets go!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

flogging molly / pepper / ill scarlett
[the view from about twelve feet from where phil, al, bex and john were standing]

having gone straight to the gig after driving into manchester later than usual after sorting out my dublin holiday money, i swapped the chance of drinking with the gang in the kro-bar for some limp canadian punk-ska-reggae. it wasn't really bad but it wasn't ever going to change the world either, or even canada for that matter. heard it before, heard it done better, but the frontman did try really hard to get everyone going even if most people were still talking about what had happened at work. bonus star for handing out free cd's though 2s

the banter was better than the songs as far as pepper goes as i obviously didn't like them as much as phil seems to. ditto above: heard it before, heard it done better - 'pussy licking' raised a giggle but nothing else was memorable. 2s

i didn't know what to expect when the headliners appeared as i hadn't heard anything they had done, though that will probably change sometime soon. this was what the dropkicks gig should have been like earlier in the year; more dancing, more singing, more fun on the whole. 5s
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

In short:

Pepper: 3s
Bouncy and talkative, seemed like a decent bunch of guys, but I found it difficult to actually make the music out. Either that or they're bog-standard and my ears didn't care. Who knows?

Flogging Molly: 5s
Hell yeah! Flogging Molly are pretty much everything you could want from a live band: their celtic-punk style of music (accordion, tin whostle, fiddle and banjo ahoy!) really got the crowd going, and I'd like to think there might've been some impromptu Ceilidh dancing if the venue hadn't been pretty much full. Their sound suits live performances, and I was impressed with the energy of all on stage. Bravo!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

3cr / the kirkz / lowlife uk
oldham whittles
12/06/08

away from the lacklustre rock scene of central manchester with its fashion-counscious teeniboppers and dull as fuck muso students, are pockets of a depleted local underground where the beer is still cheap and the noise pollution curfew simply means its time to close the curtains. the whittles is such a place; a welcoming pub in oldham's backstreets with a dress code of 'if it isn't spiky and dyed red, you aint coming in'. weird to be in a place where seasoned rockers and two-tone survivors rubbed shoulders and shared friendly banter without a hint of the closeted, sometimes downright hostile crowds populating the sterile venues at manchester's cold heart.

hailing from yorkshire and showing no fear of this new fangled west penines thing we have called 'electricty', lowlife uk opened the night with some old fashioned shouty punk that was going out of fashion in 1979 but has somehow avoided death by the shear conviction of its principles. it wasn't subtle or pretty, though still engaging if you cope with a simple black and white approach of political thought in the lyrics; the government is bad, freedom very very good. 4s

the definition of hardcore reads 'fast and loud'. the kirkz were both these things with the added bonus of knowing how to weld a good chorus to some danceable tunes. possibly a bit lost on some of the older members of the audience who cling desperately to the notion punk reached its peak in the very early eighties when co-incidently they were still young and getting laid, this is a band to look out for. 5s

closing the night purely on the basis they've been doing this longer than anyone else, 3cr are the kind of boneheads that give this music a bad name and provide its detractors the ammunition to say punk is for morons. with a dirth of songs ranging from anal sex to...well, it really didn't progress much beyond that. if you think dick jokes are still funny this is the band for you 1s
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Have you ever considered writing for some paper about music? The reviews are always very entertaining! :-D
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

billy club / dead class / ambush uk
oldham whittles
10/07/08

returning to the scene of what has easily become my favourite venue, i was welcomed back by the characters it was a personal pleasure to met last month, and drew more than a fair share of praise for my natty ska two-tone look of pencil tie and black porkpie hat. finally i have found somewhere my dress sense is recognised for the inspired genius it truly is... anyway, the first band were pretty late considering blackburn is only down the road, and a few motorways away, but when the gig finally kicked off it was worth the wait more or less. possibly being late and setting up in a rush, there seemed to be a bit of a lack of energy, although my growing circle of underground confidents promised ambush uk would shine in the next few years as a genuine talent. i think a bit of more time would do them good and you cant blame the frontman for being slightly districted when your girlfriend happens to be that hot. 3s

when dead class took to the stage i couldn't help but think each of the trio was a refugee from another band; the excellent drummer was a good ten years older than his cohorts at the front of the stage where one was a hyperactive punk who played guitar faster than is medically advisable, and the bassplayer appeared to be a fraggle; a stick of a man with a mop of enormous hair that was outlawed at the end of the seventies for interfering with low flyin aircraft. hectic high pitched madness ensued with each song, though i doubt it translates to vinyl with the same conviction. 3s

an english band who met in alaska of all places and whose guitarist used to play with the legendary scottish behemoth of punk the exploited, billyclub were a sensation. pulverising rhythms drove every song past the point of euphoria and demanded feverish foot tapping or threatened to confiscate your dancing privileges. this is what hardcore should be about; aggression harnessed by the natural desire in every man to shake his ass! 5s
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

fulibulbous / scatter / chase hq allstars
the whittles oldham

in lieu of tradition, the opening act were on stage at the advertised start time, by which point the usual oldham posse i have become apart of, including the other members of our fledgling band, had already gone through our hellos and ordered the first of many drinks. dean, who single-handedly organises these night at the whittles and is the driving force behind slit records, likes to theme his gigs and decided tonight to treat us to a selection of ska. unfortunately, somethings are beyond even the most organised of minds, and the show starters were quite flat and did not display anything that might justify having the word ‘allstars’ in their name. there was promise of better things to come, but at the moment there just wasn’t enough energy to distract punters away from their drinks.
2s

beginning a set with a cover version of a classic song is always dangerous if it throws your own material into a poor light by comparison, and here scatter fell face first into this trap. having by their own admission not played for over a month, opening with ‘redemption song’ was a bad mistake as the following set began to suffer from a lack of basic band practise. there was more dynamism than the openers managed, but for me it was a disjointed effort that was over before the band managed to rediscover some stage composure.
2s

raising eyebrows for more than just a weird name, fulibulbous [sic] were taking the ska format to new places by featuring an mc in their line up, which had some of the older punks like tim in the crowd a bit ruffled. despite cries of heresy that someone should occasionally rap during some songs, these were another great bunch of lads from yorkshire who know how to write a toe-tapping tune. the best performance of the night [unless you were over thirty-five]
5s