Live From Manchester!

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

you've never heard of the eagles of death metal?!? have you been living in a hole with your head up your bum for the last two years? okay, i've calmed down now. the eagles of death metal - although the touring band has expanded and homme doesn't play on the road - are basically jesse hughes and josh homme [he of queens of the stone age/kyruss fame]

it's rock n roll with a deffinate focus on girls [the new album is called death by sexy]. the first album also featured nick oliveri and brody dalle - and if you dare ask me who she is i will reach through the vortex of the internerd and beat you to death with your own keyboard. to avoid this i will tell you for free she is the frontwoman of the distillers and i have a poster of her on the inside of my wardrobe.

anyway, the eagles of death metal are very cool and dave grohl played drums for them on the last tour - i know he plays drums for everyone under the sun now, but it seemed cool at the time. you'll like them, i promise...or i will kill you ba'hahaha.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

You remember how I repeatedly say I never listen to chart music or read the music press? I really, really wasn't kidding. I've had a quick listen (yup, they got a myspace page too) and they sound pretty groovy in a "we're already famous and pretty good at music so let's take the piss with our band name" kind of way. Mike should indeed like them, as should a lot of people. I shall give a provisional "yes", subject to a birthday/relatives check.

I didn't know who she was, by the way. I have a wardrobe joke, but I fear it's very conception in my mind.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

keep it to yourself and i wont have to hurt you. i said the same thing to princess di but she just wouldn't listen...whoa, i've just dumped my bad taste quater for the year in one sentance.
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I'm sure the Daily Express will be battering down your door for the chance of a Princess Diana exclusive. I've aquired some samples of that EoDM album, and shall be perusing them sometime over the next few days. My ears have started to wear thongs in anticipation of a sleazy good time.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

john, i doubt i'm the only one thinking this but some of your posts have been...how should i put this...slightly fruity recently. is there something you want to share with the group?
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

He's probably suffering anearly mid-life crisis...

:? :shock: :?
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Nah, I just write random stuff that pops into my head on the forums. Great, isn't it? Plus there is also the fact that if you find the image of my ears wearing thongs in any way fruity, there's something wrong.
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

mr_e wrote:the image of my ears wearing thongs in any way fruity,
grrrr tiger, that's groovy baby!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

thunder / glydor
manchester academy
24/11/2006

this trip came as a bit of a surprise as although i knew i was going to this i'd forgotten the gig was tonight. not that it mattered because pleasant surprises have a tendancy to be enjoyable in a pleasant sort of way i suppose. anyway, this was a gathering of the more mature audience for rock of an old fashioned type - the clap along to this and have yourself a good time type; not a scowling teenager in sight.

glydor 4S a band from eire heavily indebted to the irish legends thin lizzy and with a guitarist who looked suspiciously like justin hawkins from the darkness. the tunes were good even though it seems no one in the group has listened to any new music post-1975, and the frontman could do with some work on his crowd interaction though his singing voice cannot be faulted.

thunder 5S one of britain's longest surviving and hardest working rock bands who for reasons unknown have never achieved the deep purple level of respect they deserve, thunder as ever hit the stage like a juggernaut and didn't let up once in a two hour set. blessed with an engaging singer who has the energy of a man half his age, the academy shuddered under a constant barrage of huge choruses and audience noise that would have destroyed lesser venues. we rocked, we rolled, a woman in front of me collapsed from the heat, it was great.
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

snow patrol / young knives
manchester MEN arena
29/11/2006

i agreed to go to this sometime ago and as the date edged closer i began to wonder just why i had bothered; maybe i was so tired from work i didn't know what i was agreeing to, maybe i was drunk, possibly both. either way i was slightly buoyed by the knowledge i wasn't missing d&d, but that was probably the highlight of what was otherwise a bland evening.

young knives 3S can't really call them a support band considering they have already received coverage from channel four and have appeared at some festivals over the summer, but this was the opening act and their set was short and generally sweet. without many songs to choose from being relatively new, the quality was up and down but mostly hit the target. probably worth a look by the time album two comes out.

snow patrol 2S apparently it was the biggest gig they had ever played and to be blunt it showed. far too many slow songs that didn't go anywhere, robbed of any emotion they might have had by the wide open spaces of the arena, the only time everything came alive was for the three or four uptempo songs from the last album and for a band that has been going for twelve years that is frankly not good enough. the best numbers came at the end of the main set which made the encore seem like an anticlimax. probably would have been better down the road at the apollo, but i wont be seeing them again through choice!
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

kerrang! tour 2007 ? biffy clyro / the bronx / the autdition / i am ghost
manchester academy
20/01/07

i?d been looking forward to this gig since i got tickets and only because i was going to see the bronx again; the roadhouse show last year had blown me away and who wouldn?t be excited by seeing a favourite band again anyway? The other bands on the bill were all unknowns to me but even i knew that none of them had any mainstream coverage, and it is a bold move by kerrang to put them all on the same stage.

i am ghost 1S not a terribly exciting bunch of goth-punks [surely a contradiction in terms for a musical style] who had lots of energy though failed to pass the fez head-bobbing test which means none of the songs had any rhythmic real impact, though the sound mix was poor. the band?s violinist was?pointless, trying to make out anything she was playing was like trying to hear a pin drop during a riot. the frontman worked hard throughout to get the crowd going; he could certainly sing and seemed to have been dressed in some cast offs from the rocky horror show, but ultimately no one who hadn?t heard of them before was converted to the cause.

the audition 3S the atmosphere certainly liven up when this chicago crew came on; honest rocking from a solid band with a great iggy pop-style frontman, it would have been hard not to get swept along in the storm. deffinately something by them will be on next month?s amazon shopping list

the bronx 5S i will admit to being totally biased on this one, but there aren?t many bands i adore more than this lot. maybe lacking the intensity of the roadhouse gig which was in a rather enclosed space, still being near the front got me the full matt caughtran experience ? jumping in and out of the crowd like a madman, throwing himself all over the stage and generally [and quite obviously] having the time of his life. It was the same set list from last year, but with songs like ?history?s stranglers? ?false alarm? and ?shitty future? that was a bonus.

biffy clyro 5S it didn't matter in the end i'd never heard anything by this lot before, because every song burned its way into my head and straight into my amazon account. hard to describe them as anything other than ROCK! and the crowd were in their thrall before they even walked on. getting felt up during this set was an unexpected diversion, but i wasn't going to give up my well-earned spot in the front row for anyone! i've fallen for that tactic before :oops:

eagerly waiting the next time the bronx come back and some of you must come with me for the live-affirming experience it generates; matt caughtran is god!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

It's good to see that Biffy Clyro are as good live as they are on album. Their songs are indeed amazingly catchy, and I hope there's no events clash next time they're in Manchester.

And the question on everyone's lips: getting felt up by who?
Last edited by mr_e on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

honestly i have no idea. could have been anyone. the likely candidates are a group of drunk girls from bradford who stood behind me in the que to get in and were hanging around closeby when i made for the exit, but that could be just wishful thinking. hopefully it wasn't the tosser who kept shouting 'BIFFY' down my ear every twenty seconds as if he was in danger of forgetting who the band were.
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Were the girlies fit? If yes, then definitely think it was them. If no, then imagine they were fit and it is better.

But, lets face facts - it was the ''tosser'' and not the girlies..... Life is a bastard like that.
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

not convinced - whoever it was had small hands because i had to swat one of them away from my crotch. tosser was on a generally 'large' scale as all lumbering oiks tend to be.

i've had an idea for another thread - who would you must liked to be groped by in an enclosed space? reasons why don't have to be included as they might very well be obvious!