Live From Manchester!

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

Fez wrote:john - do you remember me saying that during the interval at the exploited gig there was something really good being played over the sound system? i ordered 'out come the wolves' last week and guess what? turns out i liked rancid before i knew who they were
Rancid are a quality band, 'Out comes...' probably being their best album, although 'Indestructible' is pretty good as well.

Mike/Lizzie, glad you enjoyed the Magic Numbers. Have you got the new album yet? If so, any good?
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

Yep - we have the new album, thought it best to know some of the new tracks before we went to see the band. The album's a grower but would deffo recommend it if you like there first album !!!
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

I would rate the album about a
4S

Not bad at all. I do not claim to be a music expert but I know what I like! :D
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Rancid are uber. And all-pervasive, it would seem. Hail!

I must admit, I don't think I've ever heard any Magic Numbers songs. At all. It's times like this I feel really out of touch with popular music. I could do with adding some "happy happy" music to my collection at some point.

Also, I was going to use this space to rant about Panic! At The Disco, but I honestly don't want to waste the energy on them.

Edit for crappy spelling.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

my parents went to see the magic numbers too and loved it - i saw the band do some of the new songs on channel 4 the other night and it sounded pretty good, so i may borrow the new album from my dad at some point.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

less than jake / dropkick murphys / the living end / billy no mates
manchester apollo
13/11/2006

i decided to get a ticket for this gig last month on a whim as i dimly remember hearing some dropkick murphys stuff some years ago, but every band on tonight was going to be a new experience and i was beginning to question the wisdom of buying random tickets as i drove into manchester. as it turned out the night wasn't completely wasted though it depends if you think two good bands out of four is a decent return for the money.

billy no mates 1S joyless pop-punk from a british group doing their best to sound like every other blink 182-wannabe blighting the genre, though thankfully they were told by the promoter to get off stage early because the gig was running late. despite obvious energy from the players, the songs blurred into each other and left the audience with the feeling we had heard this same shit a million times before. i only decided they deserved one star because the drummer sang lead vocals which is worthy of some credit as otherwise i wouldn't have rated them at all.

the living end 5S possibly the best act of the night? this aussie trio deserve a lot of respect at very least because the bassist wears a workman's hardhat on stage and plays a lime green and black double-bass - which he can stand on and play at the same time! infectious 1950s influenced punk-rock led a gifted guitarist and frontman, the band blazed through a good set of songs and would deffinately be worth checking out if they went on tour on their own.

dropkick murphys 5S for a hectic hour these guys stormed through anthem after anthem of galic themed punk - they have a bagpipe player for god's sake! - and should have been the top band on the bill, especially for the closing song 'kiss me, i'm shit-faced' which involved an all female stage invasion and the kind of mass audience singing normally reserved for the last night of the bbc proms. the irish partying spirit of these lads from boston was irresistable and the set was pure class, the only downside being some incomprehensiable lyrics because of a poor sound mix.

less than jake 2S oh dear. the night's supposed headliners played song after song of exactly the same thing - screechy vocals, twangy guitar, saxophone and trombone backing - and were quite simply no where near as good as the band themselves would like to think. the frontman's terrible attempts at humour were unbearable, and when he admitted that the group's new album is shit, i would have said it has the same things in common with everything else they've done. there was an encore but by then i was so bored i - and a number of others - went out to the car park for the journey home.

depending on your viewpoint it was either a good night spoilt by two bad acts, or a bad night saved by two great bands.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Which was your view point?
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

i'm going to plum for a good night with two disappointments because the living end and dropkick murphys were so joyous i had to order some of their cds as soon as i got home...

..that brings the total to fourteen albums ordered in the space of under a month! where the hell do i get the money from? i have no girlfriend.

a preview of fez's current stereo listening and what i'm still waiting to be delivered:

night of the white owl - nerve agents
war all the time - poison idea
out come the wolves - rancid
latest will and testament - poison idea
somewhere between heaven and hell - social distortion
pure rock fury - clutch
end of silence - rollins band
fit to be tied - joan jett and the blackhearts
hellbound - the living end
do or die - dropkick murphys
cause for alarm - agnostic front
new day rising - husker du
blank blackout vacant - poison idea
feel the darkness - poison idea [i really like this band!]
BarcelonAl
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by BarcelonAl »

I still can't believe that the Dropkicks weren't the headline act! :shock:
Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I'm so glad I only ever got given (by my sister, bless her) Less Than Jake's Hello Rockview double-album. I like it, partly because it's one of the most up-beat albums I own. Shame they got bad (or never got good, if you're Fez).

In fairness, anything can sound samey if you listen to it straight up, or with dodgy sound. That Misfits gig, if they hadn't broken it up with Black Flag songs, for instance.

Dropkick Murphys get major bonus points for bagpipes, may have to check out one of their albums. Sing Loud, Sing Proud, perhaps...
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

i see your point - i recognised all the misfits songs which is hardly surprising considering i listen to them every other week and can play some of them [yay for me], though i did think the black flag stuff came across better anyway. however, though the murphys had a bad sound mix, less than jake came across crystal clear - maybe it's just hard to take a bunch of grown men in shorts seriously
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

right folks, first gig of next year for me is going to be a kerrang package tour thing. basically the bronx are coming to the academy in manchester on saturday 20th january, do you want to go and see this truly awesome live band?

for reasons i can't comprehend the headline act is going to be biffy clyro and there are two other bands on who both sound like shite, but for me the bronx alone will be worth it. tickets are about ?20 with postage but go to http://www.kerrang.com for full details of whose on and how much it will cost.

who's with me?
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

WTF!? Biffy Clyro are the best band to come out of Scotland since Idlewild. They're pretty fresh-sounding (for me, although I never heard their first two albums), and make a change from the current boring emo/post-rock/whatever bands flooding the market. I'm gonna go check Kerrang's site now.

Edit: I suspect that date's very, very close to Lizzie's birthday, so I shall have to hold off for now.
Plus, I Am Ghost have a Myspace page where you can hear some of their songs. They sound a bit iffy.
Plus-plus, The Audition have a Myspace page too! They suck. At least two bands promise to be pretty good.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

i'm now intrigued to find out what biffy clyro sound like and as i was going to the gig anyway i guess i will have the opportunity to find out...interesting.

anyway, new date for your diary saturday 3rd march 'eagles of death metal' are on at the academy, tickets are ?13. don't know how much mike know's about this band but i think he'll like them - it's rock n' roll to dance to not 'metal' as the band name might suggest. should be a good laugh
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I think I'm going to burn you a sampler cd very soon...I have no idea how good they are live, though.

I've never heard EoDM before, I may have to hunt down some samples or their myspace page or something for a sneak preview.
My annual NYE song