In Search Of Enlightenment

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!

THE WORLD IS GOING TO HELL IN A BUCKET?

Of Course It Is, Can't Believe We've Survived This Long
100%
I've Had My Head Up My Ass Recently, So Everything Is Peachy
No votes

Total votes: 3

Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

In Search Of Enlightenment

Post by Fez »

In a world that is quickly becoming more concerned than ever before with things of little or no importance, for the last few years I have started to develop an interest in the ideas of other societies and different forms of what might be thought of as designs for life.

Now I'm not looking to find religion - I've had all the dogma and hypocrital spiritual bollacks I can take, but since I studied a short course of philosophy on a module at university I've hungered for a different way of looking at life than my current nihilism and general life's a bitch and then you die attitude.

In this vein then, can I have a few ideas of some texts or individual philosophers to check out - or better still can someone lend me the stuff as my dole money is doing little for my bank balance than cover what is already leaking out of it every month at the moment?

I covered Marx's Das Kapitals and general communist theology at college so that can be held off on, but there's another guy who I believe was German called Neecher (this is a phonetic spelling as every attempt to spell it in German has turned up nothing than too many vowels). Apparently he was a real miserable git so I like him already, but what did he write and how the hell do you spell his name properly?

As far as Freud goes, keep it to yourself - I've seen enough documentaries on him to know he was probably too screwed up himself to ever give a sensible opinion on the human condition - anyone who use's the Oedipus Complex as a cheap excuse to get freaky with his own mother can stay the hell away from me.

Anything else will be hearty appreciated.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

Oh..my...god...

Seriously, beware of homespun and packaged philosophies, including what I am writing now.

Find your own path......... :wink:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

I would not know any greatly interesting philosophies to read. I have read some Voltaire which was moderately interesting but appart from that I dont read them much.

As for your impression of the rotting world. . . . maybe it was meant to be like that. Why not create your own philosophy and make a fortune in selling it to people.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

If you ask Liz nicely, I believe she has a short series of abridged philosophy books, ranging from stoicism to the communist manifesto. Then there's always the trippy "holographic paradigm" theory, but it's more physics. Chomsky's more left-wing political philosophy, but you can borrow that when I'm finished with it if you like. I think it may be Nietzsche that you're looking for with that phonetic spelling, and you may want to try some kind of quotes site to give you more ideas of other works to look at.
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

I have vague recollections of quiete enjoying Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance, By Robert M Persig. It a strange cross between philosophy and road trip. I have to admit to reading it during a very "vague" period of my life and if it isn't as good as i recall i apologise.
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

The best philosophy I've heard so far was by Jimmy Carr on that advert for Channel 4:

'You live and learn, then you die and forget it all!'
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
idlewood
Novice
Novice

Post by idlewood »

ah phoilosophy

u either love it or think its bollocks..............personally, i love it(but then a lot fo folks say im bollocks but hey that depends on your point of view.....are we getting there yet ????)

anyways, the german philosopher i think u on abut is nietzsche, who penned the famous uberman philosophy that was hijacked by the nazis to creat the master race,bob (and consigned nietzsche to the bins for a bit before someone actually reread them an reaised that this was just a political spin and that nietzsche did in fact have some things of merit to say).

major work is thus spake zarathustra and ecco hommus, but be warned....being german the fecker decided to write them in victorian prose style with overlong and extremely verbous sentences.........in short he talked a lot of sense but said it in very boring ways

bit like me really

persnally, im quite into kierkegaard and sartre etc, existensionalist stuff. bit deep but fuck it we are talkin about philosophy, well worth the effort and i thought made a lot of sense of the shite in my life.

enjoy

terry :shock:

bet u never knew i was this deep did ya boys :twisted: