ADAPS

A meeting ground for photographic discussions. Post all about your equipment, favourite locations, tips and tricks here.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

ADAPS

Post by Mike »

I did a talk a the Atherton and District Amateur Photographic Society yesterday. I talked about some modern buildings in Manchester and tried to get them enthused about the idea of taking photos of buildings.

It seemed to be well received but I don't know if they were being polite or not! It lasted about an hour all told so I hope it did not go on too much. I thought this forum needed a new post as it seems a little quiet in here.

8)
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

I'm sure they weren't just being polite, but you never can tell with some people: they don't strike me as the militant, slow-handclapping lot. It most likely went better than you thought. Let's hope they don't try to take photos in Piccadilly Gardens and get put off by the bizarre rules there.

This forum may get marginally busier when I get a working camera. Finally got the receipt, it's past the 30 day Jessops exchange point by two days, but I'm going to go see them anyways.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

The talk was excellent - just the right length - and people were genuinely interested.

Check out the ADAPS website to see the feedback! (They don't pull any punches on the forum...)

There was a suggestion that we should have a guided walk around the route Mike chose and take some pictures.

All it needs is a volunteer guide..... :wink:
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

A second complimentary comment from Peter Eaton on the ADAPS website:

By the way John, ( bending the thread a little ), I think Michael did a brilliant job on Thursday with his presentation, and he must have put a hell of a lot of work in to it, I couldn?t do anything like that to save my life, but I think we were all a little slow, not to pull his leg, about him not including a few of his father?s reflections, the opportunity was ripe, with the weather, for a joke on that.
Good luck to him in his career, our future heritage is in his hands, but I hope he doesn?t include a ?Hilton Building? or an extremely expensive block of ugly, curving, concrete in his designs.
John Knight
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by John Knight »

Sorry as a keen architecture photographer the Hilton fascinates me. Admittedly I work for the architect who designed it but I also work very near the bottom of it, and see it every day.

Every day it is differnt, as the skys wonder across the glass it changes from an abstract form punctuated with shadow to a patchwork of lights and colour.

I will endeavour to get some pics up soon or at least to mike as soon as I can.

Try it, you might like it.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

They were pretty anti any sort of Modern building during the talk. I think Hilton seems to be the largest target because they can see it the most. Like I said on the day, the Hilton has a great concept and Simpsons deserve the respect due for getting it built. We shall see how classic the design is in about 30 years time - ie when people are used to seeing it on the skyline and there are a couple more large buildings to join it.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

There was uproar when BT suggested that all the Red Telephone Boxes would go - "A part of our Heritage!" was the cry of protest.

I wonder if when they were introduced they were greeted as a "Blot on the landscape!"

:?: