Pirates of the Caribbean: at World's End

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
Claire
Superior Master
Superior Master

Pirates of the Caribbean: at World's End

Post by Claire »

Well, what can i say? The quality and sheer entertainment value of the first installment was neither surpassed nor actually threatened in any way.
Even the incomparable Depp was muted until right at the very end when there was one scene of the old "Savvy?" cheek and charm. Bloom and Knightley were as good looking but bland as always; Bloom particularly - ladies look out for him bedecked in bandana towards the end.

This film never really gets beyond the status of "amiable fair" for me. it is over-long although i didn't ever find it outright boring, it's just they should have bloody got on with it and had things happen sooner.

I award this cinematic spectacle:

2S / 3S
The crazy gets claustrophobic!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

This film did not need to be 170 minutes long. It alternated between visual feasts and long action scenes, or both at the same time. I can barely remember what happened plot-wise in the film, but that probably because there was very little of it, bar a bit of double-crossing going on. Having said that, I didn't get bored, no thanks to most of the acting, or the script-writing.

Johnny Depp pretty much carries the whole film, and even then it's average. Bar possibly a couple of other performances, not much to comment on acting-wise: except Keira Knightley does not move her fucking eyebrows. Ever.

Summary: very easy on the eyes, excellent action sequences, but light on plot and characterisation.

3S

EDIT: SPOILERS BELOW! MIKE IS A GIANT BREAST!!1!
Last edited by mr_e on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

Well this film was a rather large spectacle wasn't it! I enjoyed the long action scenes, the views and CGI were very good. The mad Depp scene at the start was v good too.

My main problems with this film was the excessive length and the poor acting from Mr Bloom and Ms Knightly. I think the best thing Mr Bloom did was die and Ms Knightly's best was when she wore Mr Turner's boot right at the end of the film.

On the TV I would rate this a 2S film because you lose the drama of the big screen.

On the Cinema screen I would say 3S because you can see the action properly!

PS Am I the only one who was disgusted by the really weird 'Oh I am dead and the captain of the flying dutchman, never mind, I will get it away for a day then . . . . phew its back to the sea with me!' attitude.

PPS If they ever dare to make another will it be 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow and the Fountain of Youth'. I made it deliberately kitsch btw.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Lizzie
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Lizzie »

Nice one there Mikey- now anyone who hasn't seen the film needn't bother- COZ YOU'VE TOLD THEM THE ENDING !!!!!! :lol:
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

There was an ending to the film? I thought there was just a point where they ran out of money for more action sequences.

In retrospect, Mike has given away quite a bit there. I shall edit my post above to warn the general populace.
My annual NYE song
Claire
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by Claire »

Have Bloom or Knightley ever done any worthy acting. Don't get me wrong...i'm a big fan of the Bloom, but is it just me, or is he a shit actor? or is it because he goes in films with the likes of Christopher Lee, Sir Ian McKellen and Johnny Depp so he's only bad because they cast him in a very unfavourable light. i have more hope for Bloom than knightley, what say you?
The crazy gets claustrophobic!
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Well, Keira Knightley was in a film called Pure when she was younger, which looks like it might involve some half-decent acting from her. She even moves her eyebrows in the third clip! Alternatively, just watch clip number nine to get the general idea regarding her acting, and clip two for the randomness.

Pure: clip 01
Pure: clip 02
Pure: clip 03
Pure: clip 04
Pure: clip 05
Pure: clip 06
Pure: clip 07
Pure: clip 08
Pure: clip 09
Pure: clip 10

Pregnant, drug-addicted waitresses for the win. Interesting role...
My annual NYE song
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

If those two items give away the whole story then that is a total piece of rubbish for a plot ain't it. Accept it people it is the action eye candy of the big screen nothing more.

mr_e - sorry to offend I know you are a keen supporter of the Knightly but she can not act and there is nothing in those clips that convinces me otherwise! To make it up to you please feel free to mock any of my favourite actresses. :D
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Heh, no worries, it's better than her poor showing in PotC, but that still doesn't mean it's good acting as such. It would appear that she's out-acted in those clips by a ten year old kid, which doesn't say much...
My annual NYE song
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

I watched it today. Some of it was mildly amusing. Most of it was dire.

2S

And I'm only giving it two because there were some decent special effects and Kiera was in it (she's a crap actress but good enough eye candy)