City of Lost Children

Reviews of all kinds go here Cinema, Film, Books, Music; you know it, review it!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

City of Lost Children

Post by johnriley1uk »

Get this one on DVD and enjoy this bizarre French film for its sumptuous sets and effects, its fine acting, its surreal atmosphere. It has effective english over-dubbing, and some actors may be familiar from "Amelie". The fine music soundtrack is provided by Angelo Badalamenti (of Twin Peaks fame).

Set in a claustophobic series of water-side sets this tale is filled with strange characters - a group of thieving children who are prey to a group of blind people who see with attached camera lenses, a brain in a glass box who torments his "human" creations (one of which tries constantly to shed a tear that he believes will release his feelings) a dumb but well meaning ex-sailor who befriends a little girl and they search for his "little brother" stolen by the child-thieves.......Outlandish and impressive throughout.

5S
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

I own this on video and rate it as one of my favourite films. I watched it at Uni and think it is a classic. I nearly stopped watching it actually because it is a lot to take in and viewed in the wrong mood you would probably consider throwing it out. However, it is well worth persevering with because I ended up being enthralled by it.

5S
liz.brownlloyd
Superior Master
Superior Master

oooooo

Post by liz.brownlloyd »

I think all the films by the brothers grimm are fab and amelie is all time fave - you have my vote...