Racing Games

A place to meet and chat about the gaming world.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Racing Games

Post by Mike »

This news article suggests that young motorists drive fast after game playing. What freaks, people with this little intelligence should be banned from working in anything more challenging than McDonald's floor mopping division. . . .

(Then we can round them all up and send them on a mission to a distant planet - they can sit around for 3 million years in the bath)
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

i don't think it has anything to do with intelligence; the sensation of speed on the screen would effect their perception of the road if they then got straight behind the wheel, and if they don't keep an eye on the speedo they might not realise the difference. am i the only one who has come off the motorway and felt like 30 is worse than walking pace? i suppose being aware of the change in speed is key, but it's easy to forget how fast your driving sometimes especially with a heightened heartrate that would result if you went literally straight from the game to the real road - race gameplay can be quite stressful even if it isn't real.

studies i've heard about in the past also suggest music can effect not only your speed but level of aggression to other drivers depending on how your brain reacts to the rythym of the bassline or drums. so the idea of games effecting perceptions of speed really isn't that surprising, especially with younger drivers who are naturally going to be less experinced
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

Fez wrote:am i the only one who has come off the motorway and felt like 30 is worse than walking pace?
Nope - that happens to me but not as much recently. I think it is because I am becoming a more slower driver now. I don't know why and I don't think it has anything to do with maturity. Maturation in my driving possibly.

I think there is a link between video-games and violence/speed but not as big as it is made out.