Nationstates Region Name

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!

What should our region name be?

Vesta
33%
Maia
17%
Minerva
17%
Starvenia
17%
Dragonstone
17%

Total votes: 6

johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I was quite surprised to find the relatively modern useage of the following type to be in use in the 1850s.

"That was really great...not!"

Obviously I mean that as an example, but the comstruction was used, and I was surprised. There were many other instances where "modern" language appeared, so things must be recycled.

Happily, it means we can understand the language, although some caution should be exercised in that the meaning may not be what we expect it to be. Context helps here.

This could be avery interesting subject to study in proper detail.

As an afterthought: I found a book by A A Milne that wasn't Winnie-the-Pooh, and I struggled through all 884 pages of it. That was early 1900s, and it was much more difficult, mainly because it was very topical, and all the context was unknown. Eventually I felt I had "tuned in" to it, but it took nearly a year to read. I don't like to give in!
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

mr_e wrote:I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves. It does discuss how spelling and grammar change over the generations, a most interesting topic.
That book is a personal favourite of mine.

If anyone ever wants to learn about the English grammar in a very simple but effective way then they must read David Crystal's Rediscover Grammar. It is a great book that has become a bit of a teacher's bible. :roll:

Having studied grammar at university, it is a truly expansive area of English and I honestly doubt that anyone truly understands it. Oh god, the memories of 'grammar tree diagrams' are coming back to me. Noooooooooo! :evil: