Tribute Bands

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Tribute Bands

Post by johnriley1uk »

Somebody asked me if I wanted tickets for a show featuring Let's Hang On, who are apparently a Four Seasons tribute band.

I just thought no, because why would I want to go and see a band trying to emulate something that they can't possibly emulate?

Or am I being too harsh without giving them a chance?

What do we think of tribute bands as a concept. and are there any who actually break new ground and do something worthwhile?
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Well, by their very nature tribute bands can't really break new ground. They're never going to sound exactly the same as your favourite band would've done.

What they do provide is a means for those who enjoy the experience of live music to hear some of their best-loved songs in this manner when they would otherwise just have the cd to listen to. Personally, I feel the essence of music is in live performance: until the invention of music notation relatively recently this was the only way songs would be passed on and remembered.

If we take tribute bands in that context, then they're still very much a useful concept, and it's one of the ways that an artist's music can survive and gain new listeners.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
My annual NYE song
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

weirdly, there was a program on the subject of tribute bands on bbc2 last night at what has become the mecca for these groups called the limelight club in crewe. the ideas that came up were quite interesting; where does the tribute and reality merge? for some it was a good laugh, the chance to play great songs bya favourite band, for others the hero worship has started to become more of an ego trip as if they actually are whoever they were trying to emulate - needlesstosay these people tended to be a bit odd.

one guy was a truly amazing jimi hendrix impersonator; he was an awesome guitar player in his own right but i was put off by talk of jimi's ghost being in his head guiding him along, and there was some arse at the end of the gig who paid £70 for a guitar set on fire by the tribute act of the great man - why for god's sake?

another guy was more interesting. he fronted a thin lizzy tribute band and was disappointed he would only ever be known as an impersonator and not has a musician in his own right.

personally id go to see these acts if - as with many of my favourite bands - the real players were dead or there was no chance of seeing the authentic band on stage again. but even then id always be wondering and probably more depressed not to be able to experience the authentic article
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

I say, if they are good then go and watch them if you can't get tickets to see the real deal. Make sure they are good because I and 2 American friends once watched a John Lennon tribute act in Matthews Street and it was shocking.

Not nearly as bad as Ronnie Williams in Tokyo Jos in Preston though. He was asked to leave by the management due to the amount of heckling. Put it like this, when he was doing the ''come on, come on, come on'' bit in Let me Entertain You, we were all chanting ''f... off, f... off, f... off''. Looking back though, it was a funny memory and it didn't cost us anything.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

but how do you know they're any good unless you see them first?
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

but how do you know they're any good unless you see them first?
Can't refute that, it's impeccable logic.

8)
Andy
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Andy »

A review possibly? Word of mouth/recommendations? You could have listened to a CD that they produced?

The internet must have some independent review site with them on.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

How about http://www.letshangon.co.uk

Motivated by Andy's comments, I checked out their website. It even includes sample tracks.

Having sampled the tracks offered, I remain unmotivated as regards going to see one of their shows.....