Teen Deterant

The place for lots of totally unrelated chit chat!
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Teen Deterant

Post by TAOWBST »

Anyone heard about this?

Think dog whistle....produces a sound of such a frequency that only dogs can hear it. Think teen whistle.....produces a sound of such a frequency that only people below a certain age can hear it,(under 21/18s - can't remember exactly which). The only difference is this isn't a whistle as such. Looks more like a tanoy system.

In theory this is probably a great idea, (there have been cases where it has been effective) but is it really such a good idea? With a price-tag of less than ?700 are these systems about to be adopted by business and home-owners alike?
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

WTF!? There's my initial reaction for you. That has to be the most bollocks idea ever. If it works on the fact that we lose high-frequency hearing as we get older, it means it won't work if the teenager in question has a cold, and will cripple anyone over 18 who has a good hearing range. Any links for this one? I honestly thought this was a joke.
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

Having consulted this link, I realise the age is actually under 25s. This link should provide you with adequate information:

The Mosquito
Fez
Master of the South Wind
Master of the South Wind

Post by Fez »

i saw a spot about it on channel 4 news - did they test it on chavs? no, students and pensioners. well done there, though apparently the inventor is going to make a tiddy sum from it.
I came, I saw, I bought the T-shirt
johnriley1uk
Master of the West Wind
Master of the West Wind

Post by johnriley1uk »

I actually thought under-25s were human beings as well as the rest of us, but apparently some people don't think so. That probably says more about them than it says about under-25s.

Personally, I wouldn't use such a device on a dog, never mind a person. :(
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Wow, it does work like I thought. Yay, I can install it and no healthy teenagers or musicians will ever loiter near my premises again! It's a reasonable idea, but it does have its flaws. Better than beating them with sticks, though.

It also reminds me of the crowd-control testing whereby certain frequencies, played loud enough, induce vomiting and other such lovely reactions. Goes to show how powerful a medium music can be, though.
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

johnriley1uk wrote:I actually thought under-25s were human beings as well as the rest of us, but apparently some people don't think so. That probably says more about them than it says about under-25s.

Personally, I wouldn't use such a device on a dog, never mind a person. :(
I don't know...it could be an effective solution to an ever increasing problem. But on the other hand it could easily be taken too far. For example I can understand it being used by a local off-license using it to stop teens loitering outside, (not a good image business-wise...Would you want to risk being asked by a group of chavs to go and buy them alcohol? I use ask in the broadest sense of the word, in this instance). BUT it could be taken to extremes if a 'power-mad' shop assistant didn't like the look of the local goth kids stood on the opposite side of the street, (not entirely serious but I think it proves a point).
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spam Filter: Yes

Post by Mike »

It sounds like a totally silly idea. I hate high frequency buzzing noises so I suspect that it would be a serious deterent from anyone being in the area. It is going to be a bummer for any business employing the devise.

Why don't we just give teenagers something to do? The only reason they loiter on corners is because there is no where they can sit around and chat (and probably cause chaos) without massive adult / parental supervision.

EDIT 1: Changed HAVE to HATE - otherwise the first sentence was just silly!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
-------------------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Also see: http://www.dragonsfoot.org
hazel
Brother
Brother

Post by hazel »

As being in the under 25 catagory I think this idea is pathetic...people go on every day again equal rights and not b eing predjudice and what you cant say and here they are putting out a dog whistle for teenagersTHATS AGEISM!!!
Dont judge all under 25s with the same cover I say!
TAOWBST
Superior Master
Superior Master

Post by TAOWBST »

hazel wrote:As being in the under 25 catagory I think this idea is pathetic...people go on every day again equal rights and not b eing predjudice and what you cant say and here they are putting out a dog whistle for teenagersTHATS AGEISM!!!
Dont judge all under 25s with the same cover I say!
Its only ageism if the person controlling the device is ageist. For example the device is meant to be used to prevent large groups of teens, (usually chavs) from loitering outside their premises harrassing customers. The only alternative solution is to call the police. Lets face it....the police are hardly going to respond to a shopkeeper who doesn't like the look of teens stood outside their shop now are they?

Used for the right reasons this could be an effective solution, but there are so many flaws its open to abuse. As for teens having something to do depends entirely on the area and council schemes, etc in place. Besides who says they'll do something you set up for them....quite frankly why should they? I'm sure you all know the teen years are the years one sees the world for what it really is and many choose to rebel against that. :wink:
ProgRob
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ProgRob »

mr_e wrote:Yay, I can install it and no healthy teenagers or musicians will ever loiter near my premises again!
Er, don't get any ideas John! Nice of you to view me as a 'loiterer' after living in the same house for year! :wink:

Talking of hearing-related things, it's a bit scary when I go back to my Mum's house as I really start to notice the ringing in my ears (it's in a very quiet, rural area). The years of rock 'n' roll have taken have taken their toll methinks... (actually it was probably just that Motorhead gig I went to a few years back)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The silence in the country is deafening, literally. :D

Also I am sure that mr_e has nothing against you personally :wink:
Mike
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Well, if you see me wiring anything up just above my door, you know what's happening.

Nah, it's all good, but I'd be peeved if the damn thing affected me just because I had good hearing. I can see it being useful in certain places, though.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Riot control? Dog summoning?
Mike
mr_e
Master of the East Wind
Master of the East Wind

Post by mr_e »

Shops in the middle of Wythenshawe? Shame they didn't give it a fun name, like "child-be-gone".